Skip to main content

Reserved

My progress this wipe is slow. I don't even care.  I made level 9 yesterday. Survival rate of 29%.


I inadvertently formed a collection of SMGs: three Vityaz and three Kedrs.  What's a good map for an SMG? Factory, obviously. But what about Reserve?   I decided I would run Reserve until the SMGs were gone.  Took about 5 raids to go through the Vityazs.  Survived one raid, insurance brought it back once, but otherwise they were gone, looted by my killers or player scavs.   But the Kedrs were a different story, no one wants those. I'm not sure how many raids those lasted, 10, 15? I took screenshots, so I could go back and check if I wanted, but I don't. It was a long string of death mostly, and I finally gave up. Still had one last Kedr which no one was looting, so I vendored it and moved on. Experiment complete.

This experiment was mostly unfun.  The combination of weak ammo and PACA armor meant I couldn't take on real fights with PMCS. So my strategy evolved to hiding at the beginning of the raid to avoid PMCs, then come out and fight the scavs and player scavs. Extract through manhole, don't worry about looting.  Which sounds like it would be fun, and when that plan worked out it WAS fun.  But what mostly happened is that I'd run into a kitted PMC anyway and die, or that the whole place was just a ghost town, and I'd wander around looking for anyone.

Some highlights

Cheaters

I spawned in those bunkers several times and would hide next to the door frame until five or minutes had passed. On two occasions someone began firing on me, I could hear the shots hitting the door or frame. Obviously someone with a texture hack or ESP. In both of those raids I later died to a player. Not sure if the same person who was firing at the raid start. 

Was hiding, completely motionless at the beginning of a couple raids, and had a PMC run up and swing on me, insta-shot or prefire. ESP or texture hack. 

Player Scavs

Had a great fight against a gang of player scavs. That fight was a lot of fun. Killed two before fumbling with my weapon as the third swung out on me and killed me.  

Raiders

Killed a PMC, part of a duo. Repositioned and was fighting his partner ( me from cover, him exposed ) when suddenly the train raiders rolled up behind me. They killed him immediately. I spun, but tried to aim instead of repositioning for cover. Died.  Fun.

Hunted

Had a PMC chase me under and over the docks. That was harrowing. I kept running into AI scavs, who I'd be forced to kill, and then the PMC would know my position again.  I got some shots on him, but 9x18 PSO was never endangering him.  Amazingly, was able to evade and managed to extract that raid.

Was evading a sniper and ran into the garages, where I encountered a different PMC. We fought and surprisingly, he didn't kill me. He threw a grenade and I used the opportunity to reposition wide - I ran into the field  behind and dropped into a bunker.  He pursued. I heard him above me, on top of the bunker, when suddenly a shot rang out and I heard him slump and die. My sniper took him out. ( Thanks! ).  I really wanted to loot him, but couldn't see the body and wasn't going to make his same mistake stomping on top of that hillock.  Extracted. 


Conclusion

So those were four raids with cheaters, and four good raids. The rest of the raids (and there were many) were either just being insta-killed by cracked AI scavs, [head , eyes ] from a sniper, or BUDDA-BUDDA-BUDDA and dead as I was cut down by some PMC I never even saw or heard.  Mostly that last one. 

But that experiment is over. Reserve is still one of my favorite maps, but until I can get some better weaponry and some decent armor, I'll avoid it.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi