Skip to main content

Killing and Dieing - Raids 150 and 151 - Level 24

Goals:

  • kill some PMCs
  • survive
  • plant a wifi camera on Customs
Progress
  • one out of three is better than none

Raid 150 - The Inept Mugging

Back to Customs with my Ash-12. My plan is to get loot (I am starting to need funds again with all these deaths piling up), chase gunshots to hunt players, and plant that wi-fi camera for Skier (it's a goal, I guess).  I spawned next to Military Checkpoint. Went backwards to the corner to make sure the way was clear, hit the stash. Entered the industrial section and got a bunch of loot. Killed a scav.  Except for scav bait shots, the raid has been very quiet.  Now what? I guess I'll head to sniper roadblock to plant the camera, but since I'm not sure if there are rogues or not, I'll go the long way round - over the hill.

I worked my way around the far edge of the map.  At one point I stopped in a bush to listen.  Running footsteps approaching. I peered out - a running PMC, not super close, ran by going the reverse direction. I stepped out, but he was disappearing. I started running after him. He spun and fired while I was struggling to stop and get my weapon up. I got off some shots, but likely all were misses.

Time In Raid: 21 minutes, 1 second
Exp: 420
Kills: Dzhonni Bobyor
Shots: 10, Hits: 4, Accuracy: 0.2, Body: 297
Killed By: Didyouseemysks with two rounds of 7.62x39mm BP to the stomach.  GG Didyouseemysks

Mistakes

  • what kind of combat was that? Running in the open? I should have just let him go by.

Successes

  • at least I tried instead of letting him go by

Kill Kill Killed - Raid 151 - Level 24

Spawned by the wall that cuts between dorms and the railroad. This is the closest spawn to dorms.  What's the plan here?  Maybe I can go to dorms and look for trouble and then plant the wifi camera?  I looted the campsite, and then tucked into a bush to listen before approaching dorms.  I'm not completely sure I want to be the first to arrive.  Footsteps approaching.  A player ran by. Unlike the last time, I was smarter and had a better angle. I point fired on him, and hit. He continued running - I got off another shot, switched to aiming down sight, and put some rounds in his back, and then shot his prone body just in case. Yes! A kill!  

I reloaded. Then I threw caution to the wind and jumped on the body. AK-104. Taken. Tags. Gotten. A Korund, zeroed by yours truly - but I'll take it.  I threw my mags into his rig, dropped my armored rig, took his rig and korund, searched his pockets, and then remembered that I was in Tarkov and backed up into a bush. I can't believe I just killed a player.  

Footsteps. Another player came out of the bushes and advanced on the body. I blasted him. That makes two! If only this were Shoreline.  This time I didn't jump on the body. I repositioned to a different bush and reloaded.  I wonder if someone else will run here?

Someone else ran here. He went straight to the bodies. But I realized I had made a mistake - I had reloaded back to my empty magazine (I only have two) and had dropped my loaded one because the new rig doesn't have any empty slots. Dumb!  I looked for the mag. What am I doing? I switched to the AK-104, he ran off. That was quick.  I hope he didn't take that second set of tags.

Now what?  Well, it's obviously an expressway here - I'm going to sit tight for a bit - it's too dangerous to move. I discarded my Ash-12.  Can't really use it with just one magazine.

Someone started firing on me, either with a suppressor or from far away. What? I started moving. Who could see me in the bush? Someone with a thermal, or a texture hack? Could it be the sniper scav on the tower, did he have an angle?  Red flash. Laser! I ran. Someone opened fire, bullets tearing into me. I scrambled - trying to avoid bushes, trying to put trees behind me. The car! I ran to the safety of the metal door on the far side of the car and tucked into the shelter V it makes. What's the plan? Grenade?  Didn't matter - apparently the car and that door don't block bullets and my adversary just kept firing and I was dead.

Time In Raid: 5 minutes, 38 seconds  ( most player deaths occur in the first five minutes of a raid )
Exp: 760 (seems low for killing two high level PMC)
Kills: Unknown Bear (Level 31-50).  Unknown USEC (Level 31-50)
Shots: 13, Hits: 4, Accuracy: 0.31, Armor: 117, Body: 248
Killed By: Mr_Mactaylor   .  GG Mr_Mactaylor

Mistakes

  • jumping on that first body without waiting
  • not leaving a slot open for magazine
  • stingily bringing only two 10 round mags
  • didn't kill that third player that ran up on the bodies. Lame
  • while I did manage to kill two PMCs, those weren't really fights - just bush muggings
  • died

Successes

  • except for the mistakes above, this was mostly well played. 
  • smart to drop the Ash-12
  • good reaction both to being fired on, and the laser.  I'm guessing those are two different adversaries.
  • the decision to sit tight was smart, as my death once I started to move demonstrated
  • who knew that area behind dorms was such a high traffic bottleneck?  Is this because of the rogues, or is it always like this? 

PostScript

Some streamer must have put out a video on how great the Ash-12 is, because its price has skyrocketed. Instead of picking them up for less than 80K (and often less than 60K), it's now 180K minimum.  So I bought a P90 SMG. I've never used one and have always been curious.

I tried the P90 out offline. Unlike all other SMGs, this fires flat at long ranges making it easy and lethal for sniping.  The recoil is pretty dreamy (but, remember, I've been using the Ash-12). So I like it.  But while the weapon itself isn't too expensive, the magazines are prohibitively expensive, and, unlike the Ash-12, the ammo choice is limited. I only have Level 2 traders, so I can't get anything but the mid-tier ammo, which is like the 9x19mm Pst Gzh - except for more damage (and the flatter angle).  

Post PostScript

Ran a scav raid. Fired on the back of a guy who head-eyed me instantly. Nice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I