Skip to main content

I Hate Shotguns and Woods Hates Me - Raids 106 and 107 - Level 20

Maybe I should be using the Saiga shotgun, instead of a pump action one. The only reason I don't is that I haven't levelled up Jaeger yet and can't buy one from him. The Saigas on the flea market are all just low-durability scav weapons.

Goal: Kill scavs on Woods with a shotgun

Progress: Subtask Completed

Raid 106 - The Convergence

Loadout: Modded Remington 870 shotgun with dot-sight and laser, Class 4 armor, meds, ears. 5001 rubles for the car extract.

Spawned between the abandoned village and the Scav Hideout. Went up the hill to the hideout.  It was quiet, no one there.  But it seems quiet everywhere. I tucked into a bush behind the hideout and waited.  Chonk, Chonk!  That weird sound at the beginning of raids was finally made, and shortly after I heard footsteps approaching.  Is that a scav? The movement doesn't sound scavvish.  Suddenly a scav shouted from within the camp and started firing. I swung around the wall. Before me was a naked zero-to-hero player armed with a sword battling a scav. I shot the naked, the scav shot the naked, the naked fell. I shot the scav in the side of the head. He spun and started firing on me. I was quick to cover, reloading. I leaned out, put two more shots on him, back to cover. He fired into the fencing. I leaned out and put two more, ducked, reloaded, and repeated and finally he went down.  Were those shots misses?  I can't believe that first shot on the side of his head didn't remove it from his shoulders.

I checked the body of the naked, a scav shouted from the road below. Tabbed out, went down the hill and killed the scav. Got the dog tag of the naked, even though it wasn't my kill. Level 47.  Wow.

Looted one of the little cabins. Let's cross the road and see what's brewing on the other side of the scav bunker. I stepped back behind the little fence and a bush said BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!  Yeah, yeah, point made. That first shot was a headshot. Dead to a STM-9 firing 9x19mm RIP.  Interesting choice for Woods.

Time In Raid: 6 minutes, 20 seconds
Exp: 621
Shots: 14, Hits: 5, Accuracy: 0.36, Body: 404, Armor: 139  (who had armor?)
Kills: Oleg Kovalski, Noys Chirkan
Killed By: Octofiston  - Good game Octofiston, nice creeping and good shooting.

Mistakes

  • poor fire control on that headshot to the first scav, maybe?  I still don't understand how that didn't kill him right away.
  • bad luck

Successes

  • killed two scavs

Raid 107 - The Haul

Spawned against the river, below the village. Made my way into and around the village. Dead quiet.  No sounds coming from anywhere on the map. Looted some buildings. Tucked in behind one of the houses and decided to just wait.  Airplane flew overhead. I didn't catch sight of it. Still quiet.  

Chonk! Chonk!  followed shortly by bait shots in the distance. I checked the time. It's more than ten minutes into the raid and the scavs are only spawning in now?  Wow.

I did another circuit around the village. Killed a scav behind a house. Played cat-and-mouse with another - I ended up following his blood trail into a house. I cleared the lower rooms, and with the flashlight on went a bit up the stairs and quickly peeked the top. He's not here? I ran back downstairs fast. I cleared the rooms a second time, looked for more blood, and found him on the stairs. He must have crept there silently. I killed him.

Looted another couple houses and killed another scav. Subtask complete!  Yes!  And if I kill one more scav that'll also finish Shootout Picnic. I found some great loot, including two sugars and a full fuel tank and, most importantly, the stupid Jaeger croutons. OK, time to go. I went round the village the long way, not wanting to encounter any more scavs as I'm quite heavy.  

"Vo tun!!"  A scav shouted at me and started firing. I stepped behind cover, dropped my backpack, aimed down sight, leaned out and shot him right in the head - both laser and reticle aligned on his beady eyes. It didn't phase him. He shot me. All systems red - heavy bleed, blacked leg, everything injured.    Fuck this.  I fixed the bleed, popped a pain, picked up the backpack and ran.

Ran, screaming on every step, and threw myself into a bush. I drank an energy drink, fixed my leg, and healed.  Running footsteps, running along the river. Shit! Someone else is headed for the car extract. It's too late in the raid - I can't miss that. Can I find this bush again? Oh yeah, easy - I know exactly where I am.  I put the croutons in my secure container, dropped the backpack and ran after the player.  

The player ran up the berm to the car extract and kept running. What? Why is he not stopping?  The car was already gone. Fuck me. It was just there when I killed my last scav! Someone else took it?  I stopped chasing the player and went back for my backpack. I couldn't find my backpack.  I have five minutes to make it Outskirts. Is that possible? I don't think it's possible. I started jogging.

A scav shouted at me as I passed the village. You know what? Why don't I just kill him and at least clear out Shootout Picnic.  I circled back. Where is he? There he is! He was crouched around the corner of the fence. I approached, leaned out and shot him right in the face. He got up and ran. Are you kidding me?  I stepped round, aimed down sight and put three more shots into his back and head. He went down. Finally! I stepped forward, reloading.  Something is wrong. He's not down - he's crouched in the grass and turned my way, fuck! He started firing, I'm one step away from cover, just need to get around this corner.  I did not get around the corner.

Time In Raid: 32 minutes, 45 seconds
Exp: 1243
Shots: 36, Hits: 10, Accuracy: 0.28, Body: 953, Armor: 220
Kills: Toha Mrachnyy, Denya Rozha, Radik Suschestvo
Killed By: Dimon Shpingalet

Mistakes

  • poor time management
  • using a shotgun
  • did not complete Shootout Picnic
  • once again, failed to extract with Jaeger's precious croutons

Successes

  • Finished the sub-task for Punisher Part Four. Next up: killing PMCs on Shoreline!

Postscript

When these shotguns come back on insurance, I'm going to strip the mods and then destroy them - not sell them, destroy them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi