Skip to main content

Raid 90 - I Am The Predator, Not The Prey - Level 19

Goal: Kill 25 Scavs on Customs with an AKS-74U.

Raid 90 - Everything Comes in Twos

Loadout: AKS-74U loaded with 5.45x39mm US gs ammo. Meds, ears. No armor. 

I've been dying too much lately, to both scavs and players, but especially players.  The last player I killed was two weeks ago when I went out duo-ing with Om3ga. I try not to think about it too much - killing other players is great and all, but I need to focus on killing scavs. I'm 6 raids into this quest and am not even at the halfway point. 

Spawned near smugglers. Took shelter in a bush, waiting for the scavs to spawn. The bait shots started, I moved out. Peeked the road above, nothing. Moved below the bridge, peeked again - a scav shouted to my right, but I couldn't see him. Backed down into the river valley and cut across. Peeked again, hunting him, when I heard footsteps on the other side of the big stone divider. Is a scav coming to investigate again?  Come to mama, little child. I have something for you. I went down and around, but there was no scav - instead I watched as a player disappeared over the lip of the road.  

A player!  Should I wait for him to move on before continuing? No! He might kill my scav. I remembered my daily affirmation: "I am the predator, not the prey." .  I repeated it to myself, and began my approach. I didn't follow him directly, I went wide - I can't let scavs sneak up behind, that would be bad. Scavs are deadly.  One dead scav was all I found. As I re-approached the little grounds immediately inside the roadblock I wasn't even sure if I would find anyone. But I heard movement as I approached the wall, I leaned around it aiming down sight. There was the PMC! I blasted him, dumping nearly a full mag into him, I leaned back and retreated, reloading.  Did I kill him? More movement sounds - no I did not. I did not reapproach - I fled away, looped around and recrossed the wall from the other gap, ducking into a bush. I slowly advanced.  Footsteps dead ahead. Is he straight in front of me? I think so. I opened up, firing blind. A shotgun rang tagging me. I finished my magazine and fled back to the other side of the wall, reloading. I dropped into a bush.  It was quiet. I think he's waiting for me. 

I started a heal - to bait him. But got no reaction. Since I need the healing, I did another. Still nothing. "I am the predator, not the prey." I waited a bit, then backed away - circled all the way around the RUAF buildings, and reapproached. There were two dead bodies there. Whoa - who killed these guys?

As it turns out, I killed both of them. That wasn't one PMC I fought - it was two. Strange that I never heard a death cry though. They were both low level, but one of them had picked up a scav SKS from somewhere and I grabbed that - might need it for snipers. Excepting their tags and their loot, I left them unmolested - you can keep your stuff - it's hard being low level.

Entered construction. Killed a scav. Nobody at the bus depot. Where next? It's getting late, so I decided to head towards New Gas.  I stopped for a second before reaching the railroad berm - it's always a good idea to use your ears to approach. Footsteps. On the berm.  I aimed down sight and leaned out from behind the tree covering me. Another player! I had him dead-to-rights. I started firing and Weapon Malfunction.  What? I don't even know how to fix a weapon jam. The player turned on me, I leaned back to cover. BAM!  The tree suffered a grievous hit from his weapon, but I was ok. Does reloading fix this? BAM! No it does not, and now I'm catching fire. Fuck it - I am the prey.  I turned and ran, fleeing towards dorms. BAM BAM BAM! One of the blasts took out my stomach, heavy bleed.  I continued running, fixed the bleed so he can't track me, then veered to the right and threw myself into a bush with a rock providing good cover. Gasp! Gasp! Fucking stomach. I took a painkiller, quieting down. 

How do I fix a weapon jam? It says "Inspect weapon". What does that mean? Like double-click it? Footsteps. I switched to the SKS. Someone was approaching, walking cautiously. I used my ears to aim. Closer, closer. I fired. BAM! BAM! Click! Out of ammo. Through the brush I could just make out the blue and gray stripes of one of those scav jackets before I died.

Time In Raid: 24 minutes, 35 seconds
Exp: 1788
Shots: 90, Hits: 25, Accuracy: 0.26, Body: 1063, Armor: 277
Kills: BigDog509 (Level 7 USEC), RealMeatHammer (Level 6 USEC), Prohor Yaselka (AI Scav).  Good game BigDog509 and RealMeatHammer .  Hope your stuff comes back on insurance. 
Killed By: Kolya Dikiy - Player Scav!!  GG Kolya Dikiy 

Mistakes

  • not checking the ammo on the SKS earlier (but I did look for PS rounds on the PMC and he had none)
  • not knowing how to fix a weapon jam ( in my defense, I don't do scav runs, so how would I know?)
  • poor aiming at the end - I couldn't really see my target, but still, got to make every shot count.
  • added only one scav to my tally. 

Successes

  • killed two PMCs
  • all the battles, including the last one, were fun
  • fixing the bleed and veering was smart, though he apparently saw me - or maybe he heard my gasping.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi