Skip to main content

Punisher Part 1 - Raids 67-70 - Level 17

Goal: Upgrade my little four slot alpha secure container to an epsilon! And that means finishing the Punisher questline. The first quest in that series, kill 15 scavs on Shoreline with an AKM, is now available to me.  I've been collecting the knives and the lower-half masks since the start of the wipe in anticipation of this questline.

Destination: Shoreline

Raid 67 - The Haul

Loadout: Suppressed AKMSN, Class 4 armor, meds, ears backpack

Most of my magazines are packed with HP ammo. I figure since I'm mostly killing scavs, might as well bring something to kill them quicker.  But I have one magazine that is half PS and BP, plus extra rounds of PS.  

Spawned at the guard tower on the road to customs.  I don't have a good plan for this area. I guess there is likely a scav in the blue fenced construction area, and then after that I can hit the pier and then go northward?  But there were no scavs in the construction and, surprisingly, no one at pier either.  I looted the safes and the computer at pier and scored a GPU and some other high value items. This is great - now I don't need to worry about loot for the rest of the raid - I can focus on killing scavs.

Hit the gas station - empty. Northward to the power station - I headshot the sniper there from far away, and got another headshot on a regular scav from a sneaky angle. Then I entered the area and blasted one down with autofire. Checked the bodies and got the last lower-half mask I need and then scooted. I didn't bother going into the building, scav killing is the priority and I dislike looting generally.

There was one more scav at the bus station. Now what? Continue up to resort? It's getting late, I should probably move on, plus resort is scary.  On my way down the hill from the bus station two things happened - someone started shooting at something above me - it sounded like someone killing scavs at the bus station. And I started to receive fire from a scav at Sanitar's house. I scrambled for cover, got it, and then peeked to where the shots had come from. I couldn't see the source of the fire. I peeked up the hill - no sign of any activity. I crept closer to Sanitar's house and scoped the yard and the surroundings - no sign of anyone. I checked my nine again, looking out for whoever might be above.  

What's the play here?  My weapon is suppressed, so if I can get eyes on this scav I can probably take him without drawing undue attention to myself. But if it becomes a big firefight - that might draw the attention of whoever is above me. Further, whoever shot at me was firing from quite a distance - like the way that Sanitar and his guards do when at pier (but the scavs do not).  So, while it is unlikely, it might be that if I go down into the house area I won't find a scav but something much worse. 

I took the safe route and bypassed and extracted.

Time In Raid: 40 minutes, 48 seconds
Exp: 2280
Shots fired: 45, Hits: 7, Accuracy: 0.16, Damage to body: 440, Damage to armor: 30
Kills: Savva Synulya (Sniper), Nikolay Zyr-truba, Kiryuha Vertuhay, Lag Zolotoy.  Godspeed gentlemen.

Mistakes

  • the "valuable loot" from the safe was not as valuable as I thought. I should have done more looting - I definitely need funds.
  • I feel like I should be killing more scavs. Like 5 or 6 per raid.

Successes

  • Survived and killed four scavs. Not a bad start.
  • I now have two GPUs in my stash.  Ostensibly, I need to give them to Mechanic for a quest, but I'm holding onto them just in case my funds get really low and I become desperate.  I can't complete the quest until I have three anyway.

Raid 68 - Underestimating

Spawned at the arch. Made my way to the radar tower - no one there.  I hit the safe and made my way to the power station. Found some moonshine in a stash - I think that's worth some money, no? Not sure. I removed my AFAK and peas from my secure container and dropped the moonshine in.

I carefully approached the hill next to the power station - I peeked through a bush - there was a scav on the roof.  Yes!  But before I could aim he saw me and started firing - I descended the hill, to put it between me and him and crouched low. BAM - I was dead.  Apparently I didn't get low enough.

Time In Raid: 5 minutes, 32 seconds
Exp: 72
Killed By: Kiryuha Gadzhet

Mistakes

  • not having hard cover in the first place.  Dumb.

Successes

  • The moonshine was 120K from therapist - so definitely smart to have secured it.

Raid 69 - Harrowing

Loadout: once again an AKMSN, but this one is not suppressed. I'm going loud. Also, Jaeger will no longer sell me HP ammo. That must be a recent change, and there was none on the flea. So it's just PS ammo for me, plus a kill mag with BP.

Spawned below the tunnel on the beach.  As this is a new weapon I had to check the scope settings, the sight, the laser/light. Now I'm ready. I looked over at the island - I saw a scav moving on it. Maybe I can take him, but I'll head up on the hill a bit to shoot him from there, not here.

I started up and just as I was approaching the crest of the hillock BAM someone shot me from the tunnel area with  a suppressed weapon.  What? I started running northward, zig-zagging. More shots chasing me. This is bad. I dove into the tiniest of depressions and crawled into a bush. My stomach blacked - I'm making loud gasping sounds. I healed and used my CMS to fix my stomach.  I carefully peered out - can I see the sniper?  I cannot. Where is he?  Footsteps approaching, more suppressed fire. I cowered. A second later I could hear, very faintly, the sounds of a CMS being used. OMG - I'm not alone!  

I peered over. There's another bush about 60 meters away, maybe further. Can I hear the CMS from that far?  Apparently yes.  That guy stood and ran south toward the water. A sniper from the tunnel area started firing on him as did a second sniper from the next big hill due east (the one overlooking the gas station). There is no way that guy is going to make it.  Not my problem, but definitely my opportunity. While they are distracted I resumed my run northward. This is hilarious - my friend is running north to south, and I'm running south to north - and both of us hid and healed in bushes just meters apart.  

I must have caught the attention of one of the snipers - another shot hit me, but my armor saved my life. I ran over the tiniest of ridges and dove to the safety of the village buildings.  My armor is zeroed, but I'm alive. That was quite the wake up call.

I made my way along the village - it was quiet. Up to the bus station. Quiet.  I went due east of the bus station. I heard running footsteps above - at the resort, and weapon fire from below at the power station. I crouched behind a tree and leaned out with the scope. The sniper atop the power station was firing on someone to his east. I aimed and fired. And fired again. And again - and I killed him. Yes.  

Now what?  Let's be smart about this. Whoever that sniper was firing at probably heard the report of my weapon and knows I'm over here on the west side of the river. They'll likely be expecting me to approach from this west hill.  Plus, I heard that other scav, right? So I'll go up to the resort, see what's there, and then hit power station from an east approach.

No one seemed to be at the resort. But when I was walking around a scav shouted at me - I dove for cover. I carefully peeked out. No sign of any scav. Hmmm.  I moved out of cover a bit later. Another shout - I dove for cover again and quickly spied the area. No sign of any scav. He must be in the building looking out those windows, which are all black to me.  Maybe the flashlight?  I turned on my flashlight and began pieing the windows. There he is!  I killed with a nice headshot. That was cool.

As promised I carefully descended to the power station, switching to my kill mag. There were footsteps inside, but also scav voices.  I jumped on some boxes, looked over the fence and killed me two more scavs.  I circled the area. The sniper scav I had killed earlier had conveniently fallen off the building and he had a scoped  SVD and seven mags of ammo. I took his weapon and his mags. He probably has something dumb like Lps gzh, but whatever - it's not like I have much loot this raid - I need something.  

My energy and hydration were low. I ate my peas. That'll hold for a bit - but it's time to go.  I crossed the map, healing and pain killing to clear up my vision and extracted.

Time In Raid: 33 minutes 47 seconds
Exp: 2356
Shots: 86, Hits: 16, Accuracy: 0.15, Body: 664, Armor: 7
Kills: Garik Fantomas (Sniper, 200 meters), Pahomiy Bubesh, Antich Priezzhiy, Anton Byvalyy

Mistakes

  • need to bring both food and drink. If I had had more nourishment I might have been able to make a stop at radar tower
  • one of those snipers must have run to the top of tunnel - I should have scoped that more carefully  - I might have been able to kill him (though, unlikely)

Successes

  • survived
  • flashlight FTW
  • the ammo turned out to sell at over 1000 rubles a round. It was by far the most valuable thing I got all raid.

Raid 70 - Reflection

Spawned at the rock archway and made my way up the radar tower. No scavs. I hit the safe. I made my way quickly to the power station. This time I want to make sure I have good cover. There was no one atop it, but there were definitely scavs. I made my way in through the hole in the fence on the east and killed a scav. But there was another running around on the far side of the building. I carefully checked the front area - don't want anyone surprising me from those control closets.  I advanced on the scav, passing in front of the windows of the building. The sun was at a funny angle and the windows were black - I couldn't see into the station well. I should use the trick with the flashlight like I did last raid. Just a sec - I aimed down sight and leaned around the corner and blasted the scav, killing him. Instinctively I jerked back to safety in case he fired.  Of course, he did not fire as he was dead. But the scav who was standing on the other side of the window with an SVD aimed inches from my head did.

Time In Raid: 9 minutes, 46 seconds
Exp: 527
Shots: 53, Hits: 8, Accuracy: 0.13, Body: 309, Armor: 116
Kills: Yuriy Zabor, Stepan Sekach.  Godspeed gentlemen.
Killled By: Vityok Bubl

Mistakes

  • this death was hilarious - I had literally just been reflecting (no pun intended) on the last raid and the wisdom of using the flashlight. If I had turned it on I might have seen him. 

Successes

  • laughed at death

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi