Skip to main content

Hurting - Raids 43-47 - Level 14

Destination: Customs

Goal: Pick up package for Mechanic. Reach level 15 ASAP

Raid 43 - Easy Go

Last raid I scored a nice 5.56 MDR with a vudu scope and suppressor from a PMC I killed, along with some Korund armor. Let's go!

I spawned in the industrial section in the little pass-between. Made my way to the building in the north west corner, the one with the collapsed roof. Started looting.  There were footsteps on the metal stairs, a scav was coming up. I leaned out the door to blast him but where was he?  I couldn't see him.  He shouted, instinctively I ran - just down the catwalk a spell, he fired. I must have run right by him. I spun around - there's no one here. I ran back into the little computer room - he shouted and fired again. I quickly healed and went to the other exit of the computer room. Around the other catwalk - I could hear him moving but he's invisible - I even turned on my flashlight - but there's no one here but me - this is not a big building. I ran outside, went along the short wall, and re-entered from the other door briefly - no one that I can see.

The whole invisible scav thing unsettled me. I headed up towards military checkpoint. It appeared empty. Onward to New Gas. There was weapon fire at New Gas - I hustled down the hillside to the wall and peered through the cracks. The scope has got too much magnification. A PMC came into view. I should have toggled the scope magnification and patiently lined up a shot. But what I did instead was fire indiscriminately.  The PMC fled.  He peeked back at me once, I fired a quick volley, missing again. 

I moved along the wall. He must have gone through the gas station - I could hear him when he was outside on the other side. He's going to try to flank me.  I moved away from the wall, quieted down, and slunk into a bush.  I'd prefer something with hard cover, but not enough time. 

I was hoping he'd move on my previous position - which would put me behind him. But once he saw that I wasn't in the same place, he gave space and started another flank - crossing the railroad tracks and going around the berm.  Does he know where I am?  I can hear him circling pretty well. I quietly moved forward to the edges of the bush and aimed down sight.  Once again, the scope has got too much magnification for such a short range. Before I could adjust it, his head popped up over the rail tracks. I fired, and missed. He fired - I attempted to flee, but was trapped in the bushes.

Time In Raid: 12 minutes 28 second
Exp: 245
Shots fired: 25, Hit: 1, Accuracy: 0.04. Damage to body: 6, Damage to armor: 38
Killed by: Calypsoo  . GG Calypsoo - that was fun!!

Mistakes

  • this death is all on me. I had three chances at Calypsoo and whiffed every one.
  • very poor fire control.  auto spraying when looking through a 6x scope is not a winning formula
  • mishandling the scope.  I should have switched it to 1x, or perhaps foregone it and just point fired with the laser
  • perhaps should have sought better cover.  
  • The insurance cost over 70K rubles, more than a third of my net worth.

Successes

  • firing through the gap in the wall was clever. 
  • recognizing the flank and reacting correctly was well done.

Raid 44 - Looted

Loadout: AK-105 now with a canted sight, beaten up class 4 armor, meds, ears, etc.  

Spawned on the road across from the customs building.  That's a good position for my plan which is to cool my heels for a few minutes, get the package and make my way to extract. No need for anything fancy.  I hid in a bush for a spell. I heard someone stepping on wood - likely in the little guard shack at the entrance closest to me. There were no other sounds of activity. After waiting I made my way to the customs yard and entered that same guard shack. All the drawers in the file cabinet had been left open. It was completely looted.  How do the drawers get left in the open position?  Is there a fast looting trick that'll do that?

I entered the director's office - it was already unlocked and looted - safe left open and everything. But I got my package, and that's the important thing.

Crossed the river to RUAF.  No one there. Cover to cover I advanced - checked for sniper scavs - quiet. I stepped around the building to head towards construction when I came under fire - someone was lurking in the grass where RUAF gives way to the bus parking lot area.  I tried to fire back at the blur in the grass, which was undoubtedly the wrong decision.

Time In Raid: 11 minutes, 14 seconds
Exp: 75
Ammo Used: 12.   No hits
Killed by: Sidecity.  GG Sidecity

Mistakes

  • maybe I should have been more careful when advancing right there.  
  • that side has concealment, but not good cover - maybe in the future I should move between the buildings?

Successes


Raid 45 - Survival

I kitted out an AKM for another run at getting this package. Between the insurance costs, the meds, and the AKM, my funds were now at 20K rubles.  Of course, I have a stash full of future quest and hideout items that could be liquidated. But still, this is the lowest I think I've ever been funds-wise.

Loadout: silenced AKM with laser, scope, canted sight. Mags of PS. Meds, ears, but no armor.  

Spawned behind Old Gas. Between the various stashes and the safe in the director's office I got a lot of good loot, including some high value items like a Vase and two GP coins.  And, most importantly, I retrieved the package for Mechanic and found a second flash drive.    Oh, I killed a scav too.  

Time In Raid: 17 minutes, 38 seconds
Exp: 1130
Shots: 17, Hits:2, Accuracy: 0.12, Damage to Body: 84
Kills: Alvian Robin.  Godspeed Alvian. I'm sorry I don't remember where we met.

Successes

  • survived (whew!)
  • completed two quests, plus two operational tasks.

Raid 46 - Return to Customs

I need keys for some of the quests now and am stuck. Otherwise, I just need stuff.  What I really need is XP to push me up to Level 15.  I think I need around 6000.   And, despite the last haul, I also need funds.  I briefly considered a loot run on Shoreline or a scav run on Reserve, but too boring.  

With the same AKM I returned to Customs. I saw a PMC briefly, but couldn't get a bead on him and then he was gone. I guess it's good that I didn't fire indiscriminately.  Otherwise a quiet raid. 

Time In Raid: 19 minutes, 4 second
Exp: 700

Mistakes

  • playing it too safe?

Successes

  • survived and garnered some more rubles.

Raid 47 - The Shootout

Back to Customs with the AKM, looking for loot and kills and XP.

Spawned in the industrial section. I snacked on fish and milk before setting out.  Looted the northwest building and with just that I was fat with mostly great loot: bolts and expensive tools and hideout stuff.  A scav ran into the building, I killed him. Afterwards the area was quiet.

Approached Old Gas - there are usually scavs there. But it was quiet. I entered the area and a scav shouted and came running. Did he just spawn in? I killed him. A second later there was another shout from behind the gas station and a blast of shotgun and automatic weapon fire. I'm not alone. 

I was in a bush, peering out. I know someone else is here - unless he's an idiot he knows I'm here. If I were him, I'd want to use the right hand lean from behind the building over there. Or maybe peek out over there. I scoped those spots. No sign. No sound.

I stepped out of the bush and went down to the gas tank.  I loaded a fresh magazine. I popped a pain. Let's do this. Peeked behind the gas tank - seems clear. Circled to be between it and the building. Approached the dumpster. Aimed down sight and leaned out - not enough - I stepped out, probably too far - there he is! - I put the reticle on him quick and opened up with autofire. The gun lurched, but I brought it back under control - definitely landing shots on his body. Why isn't he dead already? Walked the reticle towards his head - CLICK! - out of ammo. I backed up to reload. He pushed the corner and killed me with two blasts from his shotgun just as I finished pulling the charging handle.

Time In Raid: 9 minutes, 22 seconds
Exp: 780
Shots: 61, Hits: 9, Accuracy: 0.15, Damage to body: 443, Damage to armor: 49
Kills: Shura Shaytan and Faddey Borzyy - godspeed gentlemen.
Killed By: SkullMecca - GG SkullMecca

Mistakes

  • need to practice cornering and leaning.  I'm definitely "stepping out" too much.
  • should have dropped the backpack before popping the pain.
  • should have shouted something 
  • next time bring a grenade - that's what they are for.
  • maybe not as good fire control as I thought.  I wish I knew how many shots I landed on him. Since I only landed 9 shots total between three targets, it might not have been many.  The scav kills were both thorax shots - so that's two or three per scav minimum. 
  • died and didn't get a lot of XP

Successes

  • didn't run from combat
  • would totally do this again

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi