Skip to main content

Fumbling in the Woods - Raids 30 and 31 - Level 12

All my quests are just find and fetch, with the exception of Shootout Picnic.  I was hoping to double up that quest with the Jaeger ones, but I still haven't found him his snacks.  The Woods map is a good place for finding a bite to eat, and if I don't do anything stupid I can probably avoid conflict and just focus on looting. So maybe there?

Raid 30 - Cutting Oneself

I have an AKMSN that I've modded. The thing looks dangerous ... to its owner. It's all exposed edges and rusted corners, and requires gloves and a tetanus shot to handle. 


I've got that and some class 3 armor, meds, ears. Plus 3001 rubles for extract. 

I spawned between the scope shack and the water. I made a quick plan: I'm going to hit ZB-014 in hopes of getting those 60 round magazines, and then hook around towards the village and take either the vehicle or northern UN checkpoint extracts.  

I looted the body by the water, and began to make my way to scav house.  Someone was firing somewhere in front of me. I peeked out a bush, and there was a player standing over by a big rock, firing at the scav house. I aimed down sight, held my breath, and dropped him.  Nice.   I stayed put for a bit, listening for friends.  Scoped the rock again, where was the body?  I went over there and couldn't find the body. Oh well.  Continued.

Just as I was approaching ZB-014 I saw a scav standing in some trees, looking toward the road. I kneeled and started taking aim when a different scav shouted something from behind me.  I ran. Shots rang out, but didn't land. I took cover behind the wall.  I moved up the wall and found a gap, and peered through, looking for that scav. Where is he?  A shout from directly in front of me.  There he is!  But I didn't take the time to set up the shot, I scooted and just in time. He fired and then started advancing. I ducked around a smaller wall section. I went to fire on him, but forgot about the range. I aimed down sight and the scope came up - he's too close. Oh well - I landed shots on him, and on his head. But he didn't go down.  Come on! I know I should move, but just give me a second to get this shot on him ... or him me.

Time In Raid: 11 minutes, 45 seconds
Exp: 561
Ammo Used: 14, Hits: 5, Accuracy: 0.21, Damage to Body: 203
Kills: USEC Level 11-30.  
Killed by: Arni Stilyaga (AI Scav) with Magnum Buckshot.  

Mistakes

  • bringing up the scope when I should have used the laser
  • taking on a scav in a head to head shoot out
  • staying still trying to fire while under fire and having difficulties

Successes

  • killed a PMC
  • correctly took cover from first scav (rather than trying to fight an unseen enemy)
  • changing the wall position was smart

Raid 31 - Getting Cut

Loadout: AK-105 with PSO and laser, ears, meds. I have the ZB-014 key and 3001 rubles for extract.

Spawned near the village.  Entered the village - there were scavs in the street, but I didn't see them before they spotted me, so I ended up pulling away rather than engaging.  I entered one of the houses from the garage - there's a scav in the living room. We fought. And as we fought a second scav ran into the front of the house from the street. Shooting into that room requires a left lean and it's just too dangerous - every time I go to get a shot I have to duck to cover again. I finally lured one forward a bit, and then I right leaned from the garage and killed him. I went outside the house, hoping to kill the other through the windows, but couldn't see him clearly - and god help me if he sees me.  So I slowly lured the other one forward and then killed him the same as the first one.  Whew!  

My arm was blacked, I was bleeding. I used my car kit to heal and stop the light bleed.  I was about to use my CMS for the arm when I realized my car kit had only 20 points of healing left.  What? It was full at 220 when I entered the raid, and I've used it only twice total. I know an extra 50 was taken for the bleed, but this doesn't add up.  Oh well.

Suddenly I had real world concerns - I need to get out of this raid ASAP.  I re-checked my extracts. The car extract is 5000 rubles, not 3000 like last wipe. What? I'm an idiot.  ZB-014 is my closest.  Let's go.

Going to ZB-014 straight from here requires crossing the central area of the map, directly below the mountain peak. I normally avoid this area which means I don't know it well. I headed out. In my attempt to avoid being sniped I ended up getting too close to the sawmill. A scav shouted, dropped to his stomach and fired on me. I went to run but accidentally hit the right mouse button and ADS'd instead. Damnit! I was hit - nothing bad, but I have a new light bleed, and nothing to fix it.  Annoyingly, I have an esmarch for a heavy bleed.  Is there a way to open this wound so I can use the esmarch?

I continued to ZB-014. The extract was closed to me. I forgot to look for the smoke - instead I went down into it and found out the hard way. Wasting precious time.  I continued to Outskirts, and bled out and died just meters from it. 

Time In Raid: 36 minutes, 34 seconds
Exp: 1193
Shots fired: 67, Hits: 10, Accuracy: 0.1  Damage to Body: 327
Kills (AI Scavs): Vano Lavanda and Vanya Bolt.  Godspeed gentlemen.
Killed by: Garik Mongol 

Mistakes

  • should have checked extract requirements
  • fumbling with right mouse button  - killed me in both raids today
  • not knowing map better - I got lost a few times and didn't always take the best course
  • forgetting to look for smoke at ZB-014 extract
  • what's going on with the meds? I normally don't use car kits, but was hoping to save slots.
  • why, exactly, am I going to Woods? 
  • why do I just keep dying on Woods? 

Successes

  • though awkward, the firefight with the first two scavs was successful. 
  • kept my battle to one scav at a time, rather than trying to take on two at once. That was smart.

Postscript

I hope everything comes back on insurance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I