Skip to main content

Raid 1 - Level 2

I have not played Escape from Tarkov in over a month now.  Schedules have changed, interests and hobbies have shifted a bit.  I started playing EFT just over a year ago and started this blog a month after that.  So a year is a good run. 

If it weren't for the new wipe and the 12.12 update, I probably wouldn't play at all. I am really not looking forward to running the same set of missions again ( Bronze Pocket Watch, Delivery from the Past).  Bleah.  But I'm very curious about the new map and what the introduction of inertia will mean to the game. I'm less curious about VOIP - I have turned it on so but I'm not sure if I'll use or enjoy it.  But I'm curious.

The game wiped on Sunday. I downloaded it, updated, and tried to immediately jump into a raid on the new Lighthouse map.  But there were backend issues and I was unable to join a real raid. I explored the map briefly in offline mode, struggled with the inertia changes a bit, and then put the game down.

Some days later I had the opportunity to try it again. I ran my first raid last night. 

Raid 1 - Level 2

Destination: Customs
Goals: Kill 5 scavs, find Salewas and the loot I need for the hideout (sparkplug, toilet paper, etc)
Loadout: Slightly modded AK-74M with PSO scope, class 4 armor (gift from Prapor), basic meds, ears.

I spawned in the storage units.  I don't like this area - long sightlines, not much cover, not much loot.  I exited to the Crossroads extract and started to make my way along the road.  Oddly, I forgot about looting the two boxes next to the extract.

As I proceeded, I shifted into the roadside bushes and started to creep a bit - there's a spawn ahead of me, and this early in the wipe there may be a stream of traffic heading to the Tarcone Director's office.  A player crossed the road and stopped by the bushes. He wasn't far, just far enough that using the scope would be practical and not awkward. I took careful aim on his head, held my breath and headshot him ... and that didn't kill him for whatever reason. He spun and started firing, but I was obscured in the bushes and had a bead on him. His firing was wild and mine controlled. Down he went.   

His dog tags said his name was Faustian.  I took his tags and his backpack (I forgot to bring one) which he had very kindly already pre-loaded with some shitty loot.  But as Faustian is just a level 3 and using a VPO-136, which suggests he may be struggling, I didn't take anything else.  Good game, Faustian. Until next time!

I killed two more scavs as I crossed the map. In both cases I was in a bush and the scav walked up so close I could smell him. I cleared the air by releasing a bit of gunpowder.  

There were a lot of bodies around the map, mostly scavs. I tried to loot as many of them as possible - not that I expected them to have much, but I need the XP. As was pointed out on Reddit by someone, you need to touch a lot of butts.

As I came through construction to big skeleton, there was a dead scav there at the corner of the building. I stepped closer - he was wearing the white armor!!  Awesome.  Footsteps around the corner. Player or scav?  Well, whoever it is they have probably heard me.  I stepped wide around the corner, aiming laser on, kill mode engaged. Did I misplace the sound? There is no one here.  Or there.  Oh - there he is, crouching just a meter from where I was. I fired and hammered him with some good shots, but my delays had cost me. He was already firing on me, and as his magazine emptied, I went down.


Time In Raid: 17 minutes, 42 seconds
Exp: 1372  
Kills: Faustian (USEC Level 3), Fedya Puh (AI Scav), Lesha Chseveshnik (AI Scav).  Good Game everybody, thanks!!
Ammo Used: 43, Hits: 11, Accuracy: 0.21, Damage to Body: 351, Damage to Armor: 130
Killed By: HK416-ZYK  with many rounds of 9x18mm. - Good Game HK416-ZYK.  Until next time.

Mistakes

  • misplacing sound
  • being too eager at end?  I think pushing was the right play. 

Successes

  • Not a bad start
  • Killed a PMC
  • Got 2 scavs. Only 3 to go to finish this first Prapor quest

Closing Remarks

The holidays are coming and Covid is still keeping things closed, so I'll likely have some time to play. There's a new map to explore, and I am somewhat motivated to get the epsilon container this wipe - to finish the Punisher questline.   So I might continue playing and blogging.

But that said, there is a very real chance that I won't play much in the coming months. I don't play any other video game, but I have other hobbies that have already deprioritized EFT for me, and despite the new release, that will not likely change.  Is this my last post?  Probably not. But there's a real chance that last post is coming.  This blog may taper off sometime in the near future.

So, once again, I'd like to thank Battlestate Games for making Escape from Tarkov. It's a great game. It's probably the greatest game.  I have hated it and loved it. Fear and exhilaration are both served in heaping shovelfuls. I have enjoyed this game immensely. 

Thanks to all my readers that have followed my many many mistakes and misadventures. I hope it makes you feel better knowing there is someone out there who struggles just as much as you.  Good luck out there in hell! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi