Skip to main content

Tilted and Discouraged, Raids 47-50, Level 14

Tarkov has been very mixed lately.  I continue to practice offline, and am having fun and success on taking on raiders on Reserve, Impossible scavs on Customs, and even killed Reshala and his guards at the gas station. Enjoyable, and even the failed raids are pleasant. In part because I don't have to waste time re-kitting and can just try again.   But the online raids have not been going well, even a bunch of my scav raids have ended poorly. Now I'm perilously low on funds and courage.

Raid 47 - Woods

Goal: Kill 3 Scavs on Woods without healing.  

Since I can't heal in the raid at all, I thought it might be a good idea to get some extra protection. As luck would have it, Fence was selling class 5 Ghzel armor. I got it and repaired it. Total cost was close to 130K. Half my net worth.

Loadout: AKM, Class 5 armor.  No meds.

I spawned on the spine, made my way to Emercom camp. Someone had already been there and killed two scavs, but it was empty now. I hunkered down and waited. Eventually a scav spawned somewhere outside the camp - I could hear him. I went out looking for him. I walked right by him, and he shot me from 2 meters. The armor definitely saved my life. I spun and killed him. Oy. Hope the next two go better.

I waited. And waited. A player scav trotted into the camp - I killed him.  I repositioned and waited some more. Another player scav came in.  I turned on my aiming laser and ran out to take him down, but I got a little too close. I autofired, spinning to get the laser on him - he fired one shot from his VPO-136 and I was dead to his headshot.   Quest not achieved.

Time In Raid: 25 minutes, 49 seconds
Exp: 346
Killed By: Danya Taksist (player scav)
Kills: Maks Pogon (AI scav), Slava Vintorez (player scav)
Ammo Used: 65, Hits: 11, Accuracy: 0.14. Damage to Body: 506

Mistakes

  • did not complete quest
  • poor conduct of combat - I should have tried to kill him from farther away.
  • overlooking that scav - this raid might have been a lot shorter
  • spending too much money on the armor.

Successes

  • completed the Shootout Picnic quest from Prapor

Remarks

I found this raid very discouraging. Only my hat came back from insurance, over half my net worth gone. 

Raid 48 - Customs

My first attempt at the damn "kill scavs without healing" quest went fine - I didn't realize that if you heal after the quest complete sound that you can lose it. Now I've made four different attempts, all failures. So I'm just going to go back to Customs to, I dunno, kill scavs, loot, maybe avoid players.

Loadout: another AKM, this one suppressed. It's been serving me well in my offline Reserve raids. Class 4 armor, meds, ears. Even remembered to bring food and drink.

Spawned in the area behind Old Gas looted the stash and the med bag, but couldn't find the loot from the giving tree.  Hmm, is that part of this new loot rework?  I went and hid for a bit, to let the first wave of PMCs die and move.  I killed a sniper scav and headed into the industrial section. Looted buildings. No sign of anyone - no scavs, no players, very quiet.

Went to the hole in the wall, between military checkpoint and New Gas.  I scoped it quickly, but couldn't see anyone through the foliage. I stepped through to get better eyes on the checkpoint - holy shit! - there were four scavs in the area and they saw me.  I ran quick quick for cover, dropping down behind the UN Humvee that's in the roadside ditch.  They landed some shots on me, but nothing severe.  I hunkered down, they stopped firing. I had seen two at the checkpoint building, one above one below, let's see if I can get them. I aimed down sight, leaned out of cover and BAM, I was dead.  A single shot of 7.62x54mm Lps Gzh from a mosin to my chest. One tapped. I didn't even get a chance to fire.

I was so bummed out I forgot to take screenshots. Let's say 10 minutes and 1 exp.  One scav kill from 250 meters. 

I thought Lps Gzh couldn't one tap kill anyone in the thorax, but maybe those earlier shots I took when heading to cover made the difference.

Mistakes

  • the cover behind that vehicle is not ideal, I should have probably pushed to the wall.

Successes

  • I got my gear back from insurance

Intermission - The ADAR

Four raids in a row ending in death, most with less then 500 XP - very frustrating.  My funds are very low (less than 100K rubles) and meanwhile my scav raids have also been failures (evil player scavs, PMC ambush, and very bad luck).  I have a STM-9 that I got on a scav raid ages ago. I don't know why I kept it, but I might be using it.  I modded it a bit and went to run an offline raid on Customs. Hard Difficulty, High Quantity, Bosses Enabled.  The STM-9 had low durability which I wasn't appreciating. The damn thing wouldn't aim straight. But, that said, it was actually fun to use - the low recoil was nice. The Pst Gzh ammo I have access to is just the worst. It really struggled.  That offline raid went really well - I managed to kill Reshala and his guards. I completely ran out of ammo and ended up picking up an ADAR off one of his guards mid-fight.  And here is the point of this story: that ADAR was awesome!    It was suppressed and had low-recoil and my favorite Monstrum 2x scope. The fight really turned in my favor once I got my hands on that.  I was liking it so much better than the AKMs, VPO-209s, and AK-74s I've been running lately.

I happened to learn that a simple ADAR mod is to break down an STM-9 and use its furniture to mod an ADAR.  So that's what ended up happening to my STM-9. Thank you for your service. Now I have a tricked out ADAR with 82 vertical recoil and good ergo. (In comparison, the AKMs I've been favoring have had about 110 recoil).  

Raid 49 - Customs

Loadout: Class 4 armor, ADAR, meds, ears, etc. 

I spawned across from the entrance to the customs house. I hung back a bit and then headed towards the Crossroads extract. At Crossroads, the two weapon container boxes were already open and looted. That's interesting. If a player spawned here, I'm surprised he didn't head down the road - I should have encountered him already.  I made my way into the storage sheds. Long story short, I crossed the map killing a lot of scavs as I went, mostly with little trouble. I saw no other players and didn't hear much activity.  After hitting New Gas, where I killed a scav, I started making my way to Military Checkpoint. A scav shouted and fired on me fast - hitting hard. I dove for cover. Heavy bleed. I esmarched and healed. I tried peeking him, but couldn't see him - he however, was seeing me and fired. Fortunately I pulled back just in time. This is not good, I need to reset. I ran backwards to the fence on the hillside and ducked through to safety just as his shots tore up the concrete. I circled round - no one in the checkpoint tower. I carefully and slowly ascended the steps and looked down - there he was! He spun - I got off a sweet shot and dodged back. I think I got him.  Did I get him?  I poked my head up to take a quick glance and he removed it from my shoulders.

Time In Raid: 30 minutes, 22 seconds.
Exp: 1564
Killed By: Armen Gelendzhik (AI Scav)
Kills (AI Scavs): Korneliy Doter, Goga Turnikmen, Vitya Kucheryavyy, Sevastyan Krasnoselskiy, Stasik Mochalka.  Godspeed gentlemen.
Ammo Used: 16, Hits: 16, Accuracy: 0.69, Damage dealt to body: 576, Damage to Armor: 39.  2 Headshots.

Mistakes

  • I knew that scav was a dangerous one (Hard or Impossible) and yet I repeeked. Dumb.

Successes

  • Despite the setback, this raid was enjoyable.  16 shots and 16 hits (presumably a miss or two in there, plus some fragmentation).  The ADAR was a joy to use, I hope it comes back with insurance.

Raid 50 - Customs

Goal: Survive

Loadout: Vityaz PP-19 SMG and class 3 armor, meds, food, ears.

I spawned at RUAF extract. I really need to figure out a plan from this location. As it is, I went to overlook the bridge to catch anyone crossing, but that was dumb, because most players probably cross the lower land and junk bridges.  I crossed the map, killing a few scavs. It was quiet.  There was one scav in the station at New Gas that I couldn't see and I decided not to push him.  The PP-19 is great at close quarters, but I don't know where he is and I don't want to end up in a situation where he's behind me.   I also fired at long range on a scav near the industrial section. He began to shamble towards me, taking shot after shot after shot. I reloaded and resumed putting shots into him. He just kept approaching like a zombie, never firing, until he fell over dead. That was weird.

I survived and extracted (and completed some Therapist scav killing quest I had forgotten I had).

Time In Raid: 22 minutes, 29 seconds
Exp: 1765
Kills: Ded Ognestrel, Lyova Narkoman, Potap Zolotoy
Ammo Used: 37, Hits: 13, Accuracy: 0.32, Damage to Body: 563

Mistakes

  • maybe accuracy?
  • lack of plan can be dangerous

Successes

  • survived
  • happened to complete a quest

PostScript

It's nice ending last nights raid with a win. I'm not sure if I'm ready to return to Woods or Reserve yet for my other quests. Maybe Factory?  And I'm happy to have discovered the ADAR. I tried that weapon quite a few times last wipe and it just never agreed with me.  I can get my hands on ADARs easily enough, but what about the STM-9 for the furniture?  I'm not sure how to best source those, especially right now when I have less than 100K rubles.

Onward

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi