Skip to main content

Three Raids, Two Deaths: Raids 39, 40 and 41. Level 13

Raid 39

Destination: Reserve

Quest: The Bunker Part 2 - visit all five entrances to underground bunker. This is my third run at this quest.  I still want to get in some PvP action, but I also want to complete teh quest. These two goals are at odds with one another.

Goal: Complete quest, engage in some PvP.

Loadout: Bruised Class 4 armor, 5.45x39mm AK-105 with flashlight and 4x Pilad scope, ears, meds backpack. No keys, one grenade.

Spawned in the King garages.  This is one of the closest bunker spawns. It'll do. I proceeded to the bunker, opening and then closing the doors behind me. If someone is coming behind me I don't want them looking for me.  As I reached the top of the last flight of stairs I heard someone stepping in water. Probably a raider or a scav.  I turned on my flashlight and descended. No one reacted to my arrival. Ducked into the storage on left that has an approach to the water. A player at the bottom of the black knight ramp, aiming down sight. I dodged to the left of the door frame. He fired and missed. His shots impacts were loud and sharp. What the heck is he firing?  I leaned out, sprayed some wild shots, leaned back. He fired again, missing. Thwap, thwap, thwap. Geez, those shots are hard-hitting. Is that like depleted uranium or something?  I can't lean out again - he surely has me dialed in.  I counted to four and then ran to the bathrooom hall. He fired and missed, the wall crumbling behind me to the impact of the bullets. No way am I going to try a left lean. Can I flank him?  

I ran into the big room - I heard steps in water again. I know where he is going and maybe I'll give him a surprise. I ran all the way around to the D2 switch, and pulled the switch. Can you handle a squad of raiders, Mr. Uranium? I ran back to the big room, as I've learned from experience to never get trapped in that side hall when there are raiders. But there were no raiders. Come on! Just then I heard a key in a door, coming from black pawn. Someone is at the marked room!  Get him!

I ran up the stairs and into the black pawn basement and got turned around somehow. Isn't the marked room here? No, it's here ... maybe not.  I found it, eventually. It was empty and whoever had been there gone.  I had a ton of adrenaline - I need to calm down.  Running around like this is going to get me dead.

I went up a couple flights of stairs. I was in one of the black-pawn stairwells, between the second and third floors. Light off.  What is the plan?  Let's chill, and then go hit the three remaining entrances. I saw a player run across the helicopter open area. Did I hear footsteps below me? They were quiet, and then they stopped directly below.  I heard blasts of autofire down in the basement. I waited. Got antsy and forced myself to wait again.  I'm not going down this stairwell, let's use the other.

I crossed over to the other stairwell - the wood floor announcing my every step. I descended.  My flashlight was off, but as I peeked down I saw through the angle of the stairs a light glimmer off someone waiting in the stairwell, aiming up. Waiting for me.  If I had my aiming laser, this would be simple. But I didn't. And the scope will be worthless at this close range.  I pointed my AK at the head, but without aiming down sight, and fired.  I doubt any of those shots landed. He sprang up at me, firing a shotgun, hitting me. I backed away laying down more fire. I threw a grenade - it dropped down the stairwell and he retreated. But right after the explosion he ran back up, I tried to lean out, but hit the R key instead, triggering a reload. He swung in the room, I kept falling back to a corner, trying to use the wall as cover. I finished reloading, fired wildly, and died to his next shot.

Time In Raid: 12 minutes, 9 seconds.
Exp: 0
Ammo Used: 27.  No hits.
Killed By: ziming.   GG ziming

Mistakes

  • breaking off the combat with the first adversary. The trick with releasing the raiders was cute, but it didn't work. But I could have then tried something else - some other flank or something. 
  • The rush to the marked room and getting lost was ridiculous. 
  • The combat with ziming was terrible. I didn't turn on my flashlight. I should not have missed so many shots, and I should not have reloaded. Just panic.

Successes

  • Diving to cover when facing the first adversary, and dodging to the bathroom unharmed. That was impressive.
  • Realizing I needed to cool down and resetting.

Raid 40 - Two Quests at Once

Destination: Customs
Goals: 
  • get the key for dorm room 114 (for Pharmacist quest)
  • if gotten, grab the case from dorm room 114
  • visit dorm room 205 with key (for Project Aquarius quest)
  • use unknown key to pick up package for Skier
Loadout: AKM with laser and 4x Pilad scope and aiming laser, Beaten up class 4 armor, meds, ears. Keys and CMS in my secure container.

OK, Reserve isn't going well. I'll return to that quest, but I need a break.  Customs is a map I know well, and often tire of it. But after my Woods and Reserve quests, it seems nice to return.  Spawned behind power tower hill, near the trains. The last time I spawned here I went too quickly to the hilltop and ended up dead.  Today I need to go to dorms, but I have stops I need to make along the way. Let's just chill.

So I climbed into a bush and waited for a spell. It was quiet.  I headed out. I first went to military checkpoint - no scavs there, but I got the 114 key from the jacket in the trunk of the blue car. Yes!! Then into the industrial area, where it was similarly quiet. I made my way to the portable cabin that the unknown key opens, and what do you know - it's already open.  I picked up the package for skier.  As I exited toward the hole in the wall I encountered a scav patrolling the area. I chased him in a short circle and killed him handily. He had a Level 4 armored rig that was in perfect condition. I traded and took some of his PS ammo as well. 

At the hole in the wall I scoped the military checkpoint again - no one. Checked left, checked right. No one. I made it to the cover of one of the vehicles.  I stepped into the road and BAM! a scav shouted from the area of the military checkpoint and shot me in the arm. I returned to cover.  I carefully scoped the area repeatedly - but no sign of anyone. I checked the buildings behind me, in case any of the sniper scavs were up. Nothing. Who had shot me? And so quickly!  I don't know, and I don't need to find out. I ran across the road, across the field but keeping between the hillocks and up the path leading to the hilltop. As I came to the crest there was a player scav coming the opposite way.  He was surprised to see me, and I imagine he was even more surprised when I dumped a magazine of 7.62x39mm PS into him.  He didn't have much. I reloaded.

Long story short - I made my way to dorms, went up to room 205, left and exited the building. Then I crossed the map to extract with no further encounters. Right after I extracted I realized that I forgot to go to room 114 and pick up the case.  Oh well. Two out of three quests isn't bad.

Time In Raid: 28 minutes, 21 seconds
Exp: 2298
Kills: Ashot Abuza (AI scav), Sevastyan Chirkan (player scav)
Ammo Used: 33, Hits: 10, Accuracy: 0.21, Damage to Body: 405

Mistakes

  • forgetting I had the key for 114
  • unable to see the scav who fired on me.  (and he didn't fire on me again)

Successes

  • both combats were well handled
  • finished two quests and made level 13

Raid 41 - Bullying


Destination: Customs

Goals: 
  • kill 15 scavs
  • get case for pharmacist from dorm room 114
I spawned across the road from the customs building.  My plan for this raid is to cool my heels for a bit, go hunt scavs, and then in the last 15 or 20 minutes of the raid, head to dorms to get the case and extract.  If I get the case too quickly, I'll extract quickly, so best to put it off to try and get more scav kills.

So I waited a few minutes. This should give the scavs time to spawn, and get the other players moving out in front of me.  I didn't advance to the river. Instead I went back to the storage area, looking for scavs. There were none. Then I went through the customs yard looking for scavs. There were none. Then I made my way to the river and began crossing the main bridge. As I was crossing I heard running footsteps, approaching me. A PMC ran by the bus, not seeing me. I followed him. I went to turn on my aiming laser, but instead I brought up the scope, which is not want I wanted. I fired, but missed. He spun around, firing, not missing so much. I backed up to cover quickly, firing wildly as I did, I swung around a vehicle, aiming laser on finally. I put that laser dead center on his forehead and click!  - I was out of ammo. He fired again, I backed up. I am in bad shape. I threw a grenade, poorly, it ended up going through the window of a vehicle, landing inside, but it did the job - he surrendered his cover trying to back up as soon as he heard the pin being pulled. I was already circling the other direction, having reloaded, and I came around and finally dumped my magazine into him. Down he went. 

I was completely messed up. Two heavy bleeds, a light bleed, all systems red. I esmarched, I bandaged my head just as it went black, but I don't have anything for the second heavy bleed. I staggered over to his body and began searching. He had a bunch of cheese in his pockets, but no other meds. I searched his backpack - at the very bottom was a CAT tourniquet. Thank god! I used the tourniquet, grabbed the cheese, crawled to better cover and started healing.  I used my CMS kit to repair my legs and arm. Ultimately, when I was finished, I had a blacked head, but otherwise I was fine.  I went back and looted my victim, Nihil_Timeo.  Level 2.  Level 2?  I took some of his loot - he didn't come in with that. But left everything else. He had no armor.

After that I made my way to RUAF, there was a dead scav there. As I was leaving another scav spawned - I killed him without much todo. Then through construction, which was empty, and the bus depot. Empty. I made my way to dorms, but the attentive reader will have already realized that which was only just dawning on me: it's getting late in the raid and my hydration and energy are down (especially after the combat and healing and pain meds). If I have a blacked head, then I need to eat and drink or I'll be soon dead. Where the fuck do I get food around here? What about the ice cream store right here next to the dormitories?  I opened the door and went in. Nothing. Will there be something inside the dorm? Maybe in the kitchens? It was a good thought, but it was too late. Before I exited the kiosk I fell over dead.

Time In Raid: 29 minutes, 41 seconds
Exp: 1244
Kills: Nihil_Timeo (Level 2 PMC) and Stasik Moskovskiy (scav).  Godspeed gentlemen!  Good luck on your future raids, Nihil.
Ammo Used: 61, Hits: 7, Accuracy: 0.08 (ugh). Damage to Body: 350. Damage to Armor: 13.

Mistakes

  • not having the aiming laser on.
  • right clicking the scope when I wanted the laser
  • wtf with the combat
  • not managing ammo better.   
  • not bringing food and drink when I am planning on a longer raid.   Dumb.

Successes

  • got one of my scav kills

Postscript

The last raid highlights an interesting phenomenon. I have no trouble, generally, bringing down scavs. And, I have conducted offline Reserve raids where I have killed a lot of raiders (and "scored" over 13,000 exp in a single offline raid).  But against players I am struggling. Partly it is panic. Partly it is poor decisions - sometimes being too careful, other times careless. Really bad aiming or recoil control. The PvP aspect is a constant struggle.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I