Skip to main content

Sucking - Raids 59 and 60 - Level 16

Raid 59 - 0 Exp

Destination: Reserve

Goal: Go to bunker and kill raiders, get the sweet XP and maybe some decent armor and weapons.

Loadout: busted class 4 armor, Vityaz PP-19 SMG, one grenade, ears, meds. 

Spawned into the little barracks at the far corner of the map that has the marked room. Oy, I have a long way to trudge. I jumped out the window and started walking along the back fence, behind the cleavage hills heading towards scav lands extract. After the cleavage I scoped out the area ahead. All clear ahead, but I may be exposed on the right from the loading docks or the dome. So I started running along the pipe, stopping at the little wagon and the cargo container for hard cover.  I was making my last run in the open towards the corner hill with the tank when a PMC stepped out from behind the hill and began firing on me, landing shots.  Not good.  I am fully exposed and no nearby cover. I immediately turned to my right, to make his shots harder to land, and tried to rotate around the hillock, to put it between us.  That succeeded, but I'm suffering multiple wounds now. I climbed the hillock and started point firing on him. Shit - I forgot to turn on my laser.  I dumped almost a full mag at him, but I doubt any of those shots landed. I can't aim down sight or I'll be a sitting duck. I descended the hillock again and threw a grenade. Great grenade! That might do the trick. I started reloading as I continued to rotate, but I rotated too far - he blasted me and I went down. My screen went dark, and I just barely heard the grenade explode in my last moments on this green earth.  I wonder if that grenade got him? It might have.

Time In Raid: 2 minutes, 22 seconds
Exp: 0
Killed By: AARON445  -- Good game AARON445! Did my grenade damage you at all?
Ammo Used: 25, Hits: 1, Accuracy: 0.04, Damage to Body: 53

Mistakes

  • every time I have tried this route in a real raid I have died.  Need to change that, especially if armed with a CQB weapon like the Vityaz.
  • forgetting the laser was very bad. I really depend on that for any point firing. 
  • is there other cover there? Maybe I should have headed to the cars? Need to be more aware at all times of where all cover is just for circumstances like this - especially when running
  • terrible accuracy.  
  • bad over-rotation - put me out of the precious little cover I had.
  • should have pushed closer to the tank, to use it for cover.

Successes

  • cutting right immediately and continuing to run was the right move. Had I stopped to try and fight him, this raid would have been even shorter.
  • good grenade - even if it didn't kill him, it stopped him from coming over the top of that hillock.

Raid 60 - What Am I Missing?

With the Vityaz gone, my next weapon is that ADAR. I have tried running it offline in the bunkers several times and it just is not working for that. I am unable to both fire it quickly enough and aim at heads well enough to manage the raiders. So I'm going to Customs, to kill and loot things.  

Destination: Customs
Loadout: Class 3 armor, modded ADAR, food, meds, ears. 

Spawned in corner of map near road to military base - not far from the military checkpoint. Made my way to the checkpoint - empty, no scavs. Looted the area then dipped into the industrial section. Started looting the buildings and stashes near there. Got a lot of loot. Very quiet - no sounds of combat from anywhere, no scavs, no players.  

What should I do next? How about go to New Gas? There are usually scavs there, and maybe if I get lucky, I'll encounter Reshala and his gents. So I backtracked a bit, re-scoped the military checkpoint (clear) and then went through the wall.  I killed a sniper scav and entered the gas station where I easily killed a scav behind it.  As I began to wrap around the gas station, another scav yelled at me and started firing. I dodged for cover.  I carefully went around the gas tank I was using as cover and leaned out to spot him. I couldn't see him. 

He yelled again and started firing. Where is he? I don't see a scav, I don't see a weapon flash. I switched to the canted dot-sight and swung back around the tank. I advanced to the wall of the gas station and peeked around it. Once again the scav yelled and fired, hitting me. But still I don't see him. He's not inside, but where is he?  I started running around the cars, playing cat and mouse, or cat and ghost?  His voice clues put him near the entrance, but he is just not there.  

I was on the far side of a black SUV, he shouted again, I backpedaled, his shots tore through the car window I fired back blindly through the same. I circled back around the vehicle - there he is. I can just make out his face. Is something wrong with the rendering of this game? There's like the dimmest scav face floating in front of the shadows near the doorway. But it's not that dark, where is the rest of him?  I brought the laser up to the face and started firing and then I was dead. 

Time In Raid: 14 minutes, 50 seconds
Exp: 843
Kills (AI Scavs): Garik Chegachu, Arni Shaytan.  Godspeed gentlemen.
Ammo Used: 34, Hits: 12, Accuracy: 0.32  Damage to body: 529, Damage to armor: 27
Killed by: Rustam Shaytan with 7.62x39 PS to the thorax.

Mistakes

  • This is not the first time I've had trouble seeing scavs that should be readily visible. It might just be me, maybe stress makes me overlook them, but I'm not sure. This time something definitely seemed fishy.  The reason every weapon I take into a raid has a Pilad 4x scope on it is that with a scope I can see.  Even when I'm taking a Vityaz SMG down into the bunker on Reserve it has a scope on it (along with a canted dot sight). Whether it's my graphic settings or shitty machine or me, I need a crutch.   I miss the Monstrum 2x scope a lot - I cannot wait to level up Skier to be able to get it again.  Oy, which reminds me, I need to find a flash drive....
  • Once I saw the face, I was to eager too fire on him and I stepped out of cover to take the shot. That's partly why I ended up dead.  I just didn't want him to disappear.  In my defense, I feel like I got off more than one shot on his mug before he killed me. Not sure what that's about.  
  • Why do these problems mostly occur in online raids?  Is there some lag or desync involved?  
  • I had picked up an MPX from a stash earlier. Perhaps I should have switched to that (though it didn't have any sights or laser, and only half a mag of ammo, so arguable).

Successes

  • My movement around the map earlier was mostly good. And the takedown of that first scav at the station was quick and on point.

Postscript

Onward.

Comments

  1. sometimes postfx settings can really mess with the lighting in Tarkov, however, i'm guessing you don't have those on... weird.

    i too have trouble spotting scavs sometimes, particularly very early in the morning. I'd recommend never re-peeking a scav you haven't indentified, its the best way to get "head eyesd" by shotgun weilding scavs. Also, you don't really have to kill every single scav you run into, i've retreated plenty of times from scavs i can't see or that are in shitty positions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that was my mistake. I knew I couldn't see him (for whatever reason), I should have disengaged.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi