Skip to main content

Raid 61 - Dumb Funny - Level 16

Practically nothing came back from insurance on my last two failed raids. I don't have any armorsets, but maybe I don't care. I just want to go to Reserve and see if I can kill some raiders.  I've been practicing keeping my weapon aimed at head height, instead of letting it slump down. This one little change makes a huge difference in my offline CQB fights against raiders.  Time to put this new skill to use. 

Raid 61

Loadout: HK rifle that I've modded to have two sights: 4x Pilad scope and canted delta point dot sight, plus a flashlight.  Meds, ears, backpack, grenade. No armor.

Spawned outside one of those vehicle bunkers on Reserve. I scooted out and began to move when I saw a wall where I was expecting barbed wire and realized that I didn't know where I was. Oh God - this is that far in the corner death trap spawn. Just then grenades began exploding. I hit the deck behind a bush, praying the grenade fire wouldn't get any closer.  Eventually the emplacement was exhausted, and me too.  I crouched and started peering around.  How should I go? Straight to black bishop, or loop around via scav lands? I decided on the latter.  I ran to the cover of a small outbuilding and then started running to scav lands. BAM! Someone was shooting at me and they tagged me. I was bleeding and my arm blacked. I zig zagged and continued to make my way to the little building that sits between me and the scav lands extract. That's also the building with my assailant. He fired more shots, but couldn't land them.

I entered the building, immediately fired a short burst up the stairs, then stepped into the street on the other side. As I quickly stopped the bleed I heard my assailant moving in the building, upstairs I think. Now what?  This joker is not why I'm here. Also, I've barely ever been in this building, I don't know its layout.  Should I grenade him?  I only have one grenade and I'll very likely need it in the basement. Can I spook him?

I re-entered the building and did the thing where I ran up a few stairs and ran back down a few stairs. The stairway audio is all the same, so to him it'll likely sound like I'm simply running up the stairs. I reentered the street and ran to hard cover behind a storage crate. Then again to cover behind the APC, and then one last run into white bishop. He didn't fire on me. I think I fooled him. He's probably cowering in that closet up there. The thought occurred to me that I should go upstairs and spy on that building, waiting for him to exit and then plunk him. But I suck at waiting and that's not why I'm here.

I turned on my flashlight and went downstairs. Lean peeked the ramp - clear.  I descended the ramp, aimed down sight, and lean peeked the hall. No one - wait, there is a player standing in the doorway of the storage room. I jerked back rather than fire on him. My flashlight was on and had been when I was descending, so he might be aiming down sight already. But in this case no, there was a moment and then he started firing, but I was already clear.  I probably could have headshot him if I'd had the nerve to stay and fire on him. But it is what it is, I don't see my move to safety as an error.

He began firing on the far wall and taunting me. I went up to the top of the ramp and took cover and leaned out. Will he cross the water?  He fired and taunted. He's not going to cross the water, only an idiot would do that.  Even I'm not that stupid.  I had an idea.

I went upstairs, crossed over to King, walked through King and then ran over to White Pawn, and redescended.  Flanking through King might be a good idea, but he might expect it and those stairs are noisy. But White Pawn gives me two approaches, both silent. I crept towards the D-2 entrance. I reached the top of the ramp leading down to King and the storage room. I aimed down sight and leaned out. No sign of him. Switched to the 4x scope. No.  Damnit - I was hoping to catch him from behind. 

I turned around and crept the other way, and very slowly and quietly descended the stairs leading to the little antechamber with the black pawn ramp. It was quiet as I proceeded. No sound.  I scoped the antechamber - no one, deathly still. Advanced and scoped the big room. Two bodies, they look like scavs. Quiet.  I started moving normally, clearing the area.  Offices, storage, black pawn approach, side passage. All empty. The D-2 switch was already pulled and the crates in the big room had been looted. No one here. 

Just then I heard a scav guffaw in one of the offices I had already cleared. Did a scav spawn?  I went to the first office. Clear. But I'm pretty sure he's in the second. I aimed down sight - scanned the office from outside. Clear. I stepped in and cleared the last corner. No one. Where is he? Just then the scav said something more aggressive - from right in front of me.  Where is he? His head rose into view, into the view of my dot sight.  OMG - my canted weapon and my arm are blocking the lower view. The scav was crouched maybe a meter away on the left hiding behind my weapon.  He scared the crap out of me. I smashed the fire button, and the recoil took the HK up. The scav did not appreciate people firing weapons so close to his face and he made me aware of his displeasure.

Time In Raid: 16 minutes, 41 seconds
Exp: 62
Killed By: Valyok Trehsotyy 
Ammo Used: 24.  No hits. 

Mistakes

  • Could I have done anything better with those first two PMCs?  Should I have pushed the first one? I really don't know the upstairs of that building - seems I would have walked into a death trap.
  • Should I have flanked through King? Did going to White Pawn take too long?
  • Why is "mirror on a stick" not a weapon in Tarkov? I could really use it.
  • Bad fire control. That first shot was the only one that counted. I wasted it panic firing.
  • Did not search the two bodies for armor. That was my plan: strip the armor from the scavs or raiders. Ultimately, even PACA might have saved my life, because Valyok was shooting 5.45 PS.
  • Died to a scav. 
  • Died in a hilarious fashion. To a scav.

Successes

  • Did not die to either PMC.  
  • I'm proud of my White Pawn flank, even though it didn't work out.
  • This was a fun raid. Worth way more than 62 XP though. Don't I get extra XP for creativity?
  • Died in a hilarious fashion.

PostScript

Including myself, this last raid had 3 PMCs, and likely 4 depending who was on the grenade launcher at the beginning. But no raiders.  What's the rule for them spawning? I believe they don't spawn when there aren't enough players. I wonder what the minimum is? Or if there is a different mechanism?

Comments

  1. Don't be too desperate for armor, just hope one of your scav runs spawns a T4 or Kirasa in decent condition, i still run Kirasa armors despite having the flea lots of players running Iggolniks will straight up ignore anything lesser than T5 so if you're not running T6 its usually not that helpful

    Raiders have an average chance of spawning on the underground a few minutes into a raid but its not 100%, when the lever for D2 is pulled there is a 60-80% chace of 3-5(?)(ive never seen less than 3 spawn, however, a friend of mine says 5 is the max for raider scavs, no idea how accurate this is) raiders spawning in the underground

    same chance for the lever, 3-5 scav raiders spawn in bunkers when the lever for the bunker door is pulled

    same for train

    Gluhkar has a 41% chance of spawning, his raiders have more hp

    Keep at it! can't wait for you to hit level 20, you're almost there! tarkov has the lowest lows but also the highest highs!
    best regards an Adar enjoyer and USEC noob

    ps. check your sectors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I play offline reserve a lot, and offline the bunker raiders are always in sets of 3. The others (hermetic door and train) are harder to reliably count because they could be mixed each other or with Glukhars guards over there. But his guards are never in the bunker area (though they can be in the basements of the bishops and pawns).

      I don't have enough online experience to say, but it does seem like empty raids mean no raiders. But maybe it's just my luck.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I