Skip to main content

Double Encounter - Raids 45 and 46 - Level 14

 I am still kicking myself for messing up the "kill three scavs without healing" last raid. That cost me 7000 exp, plus now I need to return to Woods to reattempt.

Goals

  • kill 3 scavs on Woods without healing
  • this will also complete my "shootout picnic" quest (2000 xp)

Raid 45 - 0 Exp


I spawned on the spine, above the old sawmill. Made my way to the village, which is a fairly reliable place for chasing down scavs.  Scoped it from above, very quiet.  I made several circuits of the village - nobody home.  Hmm.  What to do? Should I just wait until scavs spawn?  Yesterday I killed one scav at Emercom and waited a very long time after, and no more scavs spawned there.  I could hear the rhythmic "pop ... pop pop" of fire in the distance, near the abandoned scav village. I know on Customs that the scavs at the gas station and dorms sometimes fire at nothing just to attract PMCs. What I had just heard sounded similar - just a few random shots, no return fire.  Do the scavs at abandoned village do the same thing?  It would make sense if they did.  And I didn't hear any other weapon fire in that direction. So I decided to go where the scavs are, instead of waiting for them to maybe never come to me.

I headed out toward the abandoned village. Cover to cover, concealment to concealment, mostly crouching, walking only to cross any open area. Never running.  I heard that "pop ... pop pop" pattern once more. That's a good sign, right?

There is a steep rock ridge directly before the abandoned village. I scoped it from below carefully, looking for any snipers.  Seems clear.  I took a step forward and was dead.

Time In Raid: 10 minutes, 41 seconds
Exp: 0
Killed By: 141_Night  .  GG 141_Night

Mistakes and Successes

  • None

Notes

I was sure I was killed by a headshot. But on the post-mortem screen I saw I was killed by 2 shots of 7.62x39mm BP to the thorax.  That was unexpected. 

Raid 46 - 100 Exp


Spawned next to the river, not far from the car extract.  Guess I'm making another attempt at the village, eh?  I carefully advanced along the river, and rose up to the village level behind the bus stop.  A scav was standing 30 meters away, looking sideways. I aimed downsight, putting the crosshairs on his head when he crouched and was now protected by a telephone pole support.  No matter, this is simple. I turned on my aiming laser, advanced and came behind him firing. But he was already dead. He was slumped against that support. Holy shit - someone just killed him.  From where though? I didn't hear a shot. And where he is positioned, it could only be from an angle that is perpendicular to the road, he could not have been sniped from the top of the roadway at the other end of the village or anywhere on the sniper rock.  I can't stay here. 

I hustled down and prone crawled into a bush. Did the sniper see me?  Will he come check his kill? I didn't have the angle I wanted prone. I couldn't see much. But I can hear. I didn't have to wait long until footsteps sounded. I stood up, ready to rush ... except I had somehow moved my hand to the wrong row on the keyboard and I began to crazywalk backwards, turning the wrong direction. OMG I am the worst.  But I guess it made me more frightening, the footsteps ran off. I regained control and ran in pursuit. Except I was disoriented with the backwards turning and wasn't sure where that would be exactly. But I know he's here - he knows I am here. I need to move. I crossed the road, swung through the bushes, circled the outside of the village. Didn't stir up anything. I went into one of the garages, opened the rear door to the house and listened. Quiet.  I continued around the village, moving a bit more carefully though. 

Hmm - circling like this is going to get me killed. You know what might be a big brain play? Go upstairs in that empty house and observe through the windows.  I stepped into the street. There was a dead scav there. OK. When, exactly, was he killed? I haven't heard any combat yet. I entered the yard and re-entered the house through the front that I had previously listened. To my surprise, there was a scav standing in the living room. I didn't play with scopes or sights - I pressed fire and brought the laser up, killing him quick. But not quick enough - I had no hard cover and he got off shots, enough to mess me up and give me bleeds. Fuck. And now with the noise, the other PMC knows where I am. I am going to bleed out and die soon. I need to find two more scavs to kill before then.

I exited the garage to the alley. Got quiet and advanced to a bush at the edge of the street. And was treated to a round of 7.62x39mm BP to the head. From 141_Night  again, same guy as the previous raid.

Time In Raid: 8 minutes, 13 seconds
Exp: 100
Ammo Used: 23, Hits: 3, Accuracy: 0.09, Damage to Body: 141
Kills: Protasiy Kopatych (AI Scav)
Killed By: 141_Night   (for the second raid in a row).  That's quite the suppressor your are using, which one is it exactly?

Mistakes

  • I probably should have left the area after that first scav kill was stolen from me.  In particular, I should have realized that me not hearing the shot that killed that scav is problematic.
  • The combat against the scav in the living room was not good. Even though I reacted well and quickly and even though I had already listened to the back of the house to check for the presence of someone, I probably still shouldn't have stepped in without using the doorframe as cover.  On the other hand, I didn't want to loiter in the street. So maybe.
  • I need to start streaming these raids again.  That will require some investigation - when I first started streaming raids everything seemed fine. But the last few streams were just offline practices, but as soon as I turned on the streaming, my game began to have little "pauses" every 5 seconds or so.  

Successes

  • Even though I died to his hand twice in a row it's still somewhat cool to have encountered the same PMC in two consecutive raids.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi