Skip to main content

The Sad Path - Raids 29 and 30 - Level 9

I'm trying to undertake three quests at once on Woods: deposit food for the Jaeger, kill 5 scavs without armor, kill 15 scavs.  Progress so far has been slow.

Raid 29 - Track and Ambush

Loadout: VPO-209 suppressed, ears, meds, food and drink for the Jaeger. Snack for myself. No grenades. No armor.

Spawned near the length of wall that run behinds ZB-14. Excellent. Proceeded to ZB-14, deposited the food and water, looted.  Moved on, heading towards scav house, which I plan to circumnavigate. It's slightly hazy, my laser is cutting through the fog like a big pointer aiming back at myself. I turned it off.   Not long after I heard a firefight somewhere in front of scav house. Probably someone killing scavs. I could be travelling in their line of sight, so I ducked behind a rise to stay hidden. And I stepped on a mine. OMG I am an idiot.  Esmarched, healed. No lasting damage.  Continued.  I tried peeking where the firefight might have occurred, but I wasn't quite sure where that was. I was hoping to get eyes on the scav body and then perhaps camp it, if the player would loot it.  But I couldn't see it from my vantage. The player is likely across the road looking across the field towards scav house - I don't want him seeing me, so my attempts to remain hidden also served to reduce my ability to see.

Seemingly no other scavs, and no signs of the player or his victim (or vice versa) so I continued. I want to get to Emercom.  I ran across the road, stayed low and proceeded along the waters edge.  I looted the dead body on the way. Immediately before the sawmill there is a big rock outcropping that breaks the path. I'll be forced to go up and around it, closer to the sawmill. I also have to scope its top in case there is a sniper atop it. As I approached it, I thought I heard footsteps not my own. If you think you hear something, you hear something. I'm being stalked. 

My plan was simple: run to top of the outcropping, dive down it and take cover, kill the player if he pursues, and figure something else out if he doesn't.    I ran. He ran. I took the corner just as he opened fire. I descended slightly, took cover, leaned out right. My laser was still off.  He took the corner and I fucked up. Instead of just firing and doing my best I right-clicked out of habit to bring up my scope.  Too slow, too close. Amazingly I had a sight picture, but it was too late - he realized his mistake and ducked back just as I opened fire.  I sent out a volley of shots. Damnit, the scope. I would continue to make this mistake two more times in this encounter. 

He came back, circling wider, he couldn't see me well for all the trees and underbrush, but he fired some autofiring weapon blindly in a big arc and I took some shots. light bleed. My snap decision was to run up and to the right, turn and shoot, and then run back to the left - returning to far side of the outcropping.  I ran up and to the right, turning on the laser as I ran, he didn't fire on me, I turned and raised my stupid scope again, like a moron. That killed my speed and my plan. He shot with a different weapon and I went down.

Time In Raid: 13 minutes, 59 seconds
Exp: 189
Killed By: BaboRock with SP5 and 7.62x39mm PS.  Good game BaboRock, that was fun.
Ammo Used: 18.  No hits

Mistakes

  • activating the scope at close range. Three times.
  • poor aim
  • panic
  • death

Successes

  • The first snap plan was actually pretty good. Had I toggled the laser and not bobbled the scope, there's a good chance I would have been the victor. But sans laser, probably less than 50% odds - I'm not a great shot.
  • Deposited the stuff in ZB-14. So that's half of the quest. 
  • I only carried enough food and drink for one Jaeger drop. I know the limits of my capabilities.
  • My instincts were right - I was being stalked

Remarks

BaboRock had both a VSS (or AS-VAL) and a 7.62x39mm weapon (probably SKS with a scope). He smartly switched weapons rather than reloading the VSS. He smartly used the VSS at the close ranged encounter. Unless he loves my AKM, he might not loot it (though that path can be high traffic, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone else finds me and loots it)


Raid 30 - Death from Above

Loadout: AK-47 (AKM) with a handguard I scavenged that has great ergo boost and recoil reduction. Meds, ears, food for the Jaeger.

I spawned into someplace unfamiliar. My compass gave me a bearing towards the water, so I was happy for that. But a few steps later, I saw a landmine warning sign in my path.  Hmm - mines to the south?  Where am I?  I switched to a more easterly course and then through the haze it loomed into view: Scav House.  Fuck. Every Woods raid this wipe where I've started near Scav House has ended in my demise.  

I should have heeded the omen. Perhaps Scav House is there warning me away. Perhaps I should take a different path. But I didn't.  I went around Scav House, no scavs present, despite the name. I went to the water. Made my way to the location of my last death. Scoped the open ground ahead - no sign of anyone. But some ominous feeling compelled me to take a pain pill before proceeding. Can't be too careful, right?

I started crossing the open ground, staying close to the water so as to be out of sight of anyone who might be in, or looking into, the sawmill. I passed the dock. There are some sheer rock outcroppings, with sand between. I heard footsteps directly above - someone was on a rock outcropping. Fuck.  I am exposed with no armor and few options.

I ran, zig-zagging.  A silenced weapon started in on me. I took a hit, zigged, ran some more, zag, zig, more shots and more zagging and zigging and then a second hit and I was down. 

Time In Raid: 12 minutes, 27 seconds
Exp: 0
Killed by: AndrewSF51  with two rounds of 7.62x54R BS ( silenced SVDS? ).  GG AndrewSF51
No shots fired.

Mistakes

  • maybe I should have flipped the AKM to autofire and charged up the hill as soon as I heard the footsteps? I'm not positive that those sandy areas between the outcroppings are all scale-able - that would have been epic if I charged up and got stopped midway.  
  • It's a risky route along the waters edge. Of course, there are few places in Tarkov that aren't risky.
  • did not plant food for the Jaeger
  • did not see, much less kill, a single scav
  • died

Successes

  • smart to PK
  • did not die to a scav

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I