Skip to main content

Death in the Bunker - Raid 118

I set aside some time this weekend to be able to run a bunch of raids - I even logged on during an off time to go armor shopping, so that I'd have an extra armor set after an inevitable death. But my schedule changed. Instead of the three or four raids I had been hoping, I was only able to run one.

Destination: Reserve

Goals:

  • find military tech, especially virtex, iridium, military cables and tank battery
  • kill PMCs
  • Bunker Part 2 quest: visit 5 entrances

Raid 118

Loadout: Class 5 Ghzel Armor, VSS with four 20 round magazines of SPP. 2 Grenades. Meds. Also I have the Armasight NVG gear - very useful in the underground.   And keys. I now have two: the underground marked room and RB-GN which supposedly has a tank battery spawn.

Visiting those 5 bunker entrances is a hassle. It means you can't just hop in and hop out of the bunker hot-zone. This increases the exposure not just to raiders but, worse, to players. So I am making this a night raid.

Spawned in one of the bunkers adjacent the train station. Activated the NVGs and headed out. Made my way to King without encountering anyone. Got some ok loot in the garage and the computer rooms. Went downstairs, closing the gate behind me.  I carefully approached the last set of stairs that drop into the bunker.  It was quiet. I shot out the lights, helping me see and hoping to get a reaction. No one reacted. Descended.  Not a soul down here.

So I started the loop.  Crossed the water and got white bishop door out of the way. Up to white pawn door, then in and around to black pawn door.  There is a ramp heading up towards black bishop, it has a light shining right at me. As I stepped onto the ramp a scav shouted and began firing.  I hit the wall, fired back. He retreated. I pursued him up, I had no choice, the damn light was blinding me. I took the corner and brought him down with the rest of my magazine and reloaded. I was unharmed.  I could hear footsteps moving around above.  Shit, did killing him trigger a raider, or worse, one of Glukhars guards? 

I don't know the tunnels well around the corner of black bishop and black pawn. I went onward and got the subtask complete. Great!  That was the last one.  I started to work my way back, but slightly disoriented.  The footsteps were persistently moving and now they seemed to be getting closer. I was at unfamiliar four-way intersection, with a long tunnel in front of me, and shorter ones in the other directions. I was trying to place the footsteps - left - now right - where should I be? If he approaches the left or right, I should have good cover here, but would be exposed down the long tunnel. What if I cross over? That might be better, but it would be a left lean. My enemy appeared at the end of the long tunnel.  Hey, that's a PMC!  He started firing immediately, my armor protected me. I started return firing, but my weapon was still on autofire and difficult to manage at this range. I doubt I landed a single round. I stood motionless, trying to place my blast, but not before he found my head.

Time In Raid: 11 minutes, 27 seconds
Exp: 243
Killed: Vasyan Kupchino (scav).  Godspeed Vasyan.
Killed By: RuinsTrippin with one round of 5.56 x 45mm M855 to the head.  Congratulations RuinsTrippin !!
Ammo Used: 31, Hits: 4, Damage to Body: 209, Accuracy: 0.1

Mistakes

  • very poor conduct of combat. Should have been moving to cover instead of standing still. Probably should have gone around corner instead of engaging.
  • single fire would have been preferable to auto.
  • despite a lot of offline practice, I seem to have a long way to go combat-wise.
  • did not try out any of my new keys

Successes

  • the combat with the scav, despite the difficulties, was pretty well handled.

PostScript

I spent 150K rubles on those two Reserve keys. The next day I saw an updated key guide someone posted on reddit and discovered that the two keys I bought are considered the worst keys, the "Do Not Buy" keys. Awesome. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi