Skip to main content

Update: Raid 112 - Killing Time

Destination: Interchange

Goal

  • kill scavs (need 10 more kills to complete quest)
  • get shipping list from Oli Logistics Office (lower priority)

Raid 112

Loadout: Class 5 Gen IV "High Mobility" armor, AK-104 with canted dot sight, three 30-round mags of BP,  meds, ears. Extra ammo, Logistics Office Key and CMS kit in my alpha container. I am also carrying a Vulcan MG Nightscope in my rig for use in the mall or underground (it's awkward on the weapon).

Got the same spawn as last raid - close to the garage entrances at Oli. But this time I didn't know what to do. My "sneaky plan" for this spawn is obviously stupid. Should I head to the Logistics Office? Hmmm. I want to focus on killing scavs, the nightscope give me an advantage in the darkness, and I don't want players behind me. How about I hit some outside stashes and then go into the garages?  Aren't there scavs underneath Goshan and IDEA?

So I did that. After I entered the garages I attached the awkward scope and started in. After just a few steps I heard firing up ahead - sounded like a player killing scavs maybe. Also, a peculiar sounding weapon. What is that, I wonder? I quieted down, scoped the way, and started inching my way forward. Maybe I'll catch him looting.  As I finally came around the containers and trucks, I couldn't see any sign of anyone.  The peculiar weapon fired again, even deeper in the garages. I went forward, quieted down again, and inched my way forward. I was scoping every inch of the garage - no sign of anyone. But also, as I write this, I realize there were no bodies. That should have been a clue - but at the time I didn't notice it. It happened a third time and I kept slowly and silently pursuing the player, but catching no sight of him. 

Running footsteps on my right. Scav. I swiveled and scoped. Can't see anyone, but I bet he's on the other side of these containers, or maybe just outside. I gave up being sneaky and started to move normally. No scav. But more footsteps - he's just outside the garage in the alley behind the mall. I peeked a narrow opening to the alley, nobody. Footsteps running behind me  - I spun around facing the darkness and scoped and nobody. And I realized I was hearing scav footsteps from up above, not down here. And the player I've been chasing? He's probably upstairs too. I am a moron.

Just then the peculiar gun started firing, and the scavs above me started shouting and dying. Fuck this. There's nobody but us morons down here, and all the scavs upstairs have now been killed by this other dude, who's probably chasing the same quest but not, you know, like a coward. Now what?  Time to leap frog - get ahead of Mr. Peculiar and kill some goddamned scavs.  So I ran down the alley, heading towards power station. 

I made it into the yard around the power station, nightscope removed. I heard some scavs talking outside the power station, I spotted them through the power transformers - one was moving near me, another looked like he was running towards the mall (player scav?).  I flanked, took down first scav. A second scav popped around the corner, but I killed him too. So I guess that wasn't a player scav.  Patrolled the area - it's been nearly fully looted and no more scavs. 

Before heading to the IDEA garages I stopped and ate a snack I had looted. My hydration is perilously low - what time is it? There are less than 15 minutes of the raid left. Shit. I wasted all my raid slow creeping in the damn garage, like a moron. I headed to the IDEA garage.  I'll step into the corner there, put on this nightscope and see what BAM!! Shotgun blast. Player scav. Probably the one I spotted earlier. Fuck. I wheeled and took cover behind the narrow side of a shipping container, but not before a second blast blacked my arm.  Fuck. Heavy bleed. I esmarched, took a pain-killer, applied some cheese. I have no idea where that player scav is, he's lying in wait somewhere in the darkness. Of course, I happen to have in my rig something that will strip that advantage from him. But he knows exactly where I am, and I'm in the daylight. If my silhouette peeks out either edge of this container, it'll be my head. Need to flank.  

I ran away, sticking to the lee shadow of the container as far as I could, and then cut into the open, trying to get over the little hill north of IDEA.  Shotgun fire pursued me as I ran, but none landed. My stamina ran out just as I crested the hill, but I think he had to reload - otherwise, I'd be dead. I circled around the hill, and a bit more, taking me to the front of IDEA. The best flank is to re-enter those garages from the front of the mall. But my hydration is zeroed. I rummaged in my inventory: I have peas. I ate the peas. That gave me a little hydration, but it seemed to be lowering very quickly. I could see by my aiming laser that my arm was very unsteady. I stopped in a bush and repaired my arm.  I caught sight of a red flashing warning - less than 8 minutes. Hydration meter red again, and falling. Shit. I'm going to have to leave. I am surprised the player scav hadn't be coming towards me, to extract. Well, GG tovarisch. Catch you next time.  

Time in Raid: 37 minutes, 17 seconds.
Exp: 1609
Killed (scavs): Zurab Gorelyy and Vadimka Elektronik.  Godspeed gentlemen.

Ammo Used: 15, Hits: 8, Accuracy: 0.4, Damage to Body: 309, Damage to Armor: 4.

Mistakes

  • even if there wasn't time to enter the garages, conduct a firefight and extract, I could have hung around a little longer, camping, to see if that player scav would exit towards railway. It's his most likely choice.  But, honestly, while I know it's just a video game, I have a strong distaste to exit camping of any sort. 
  • wasting time slow walking in the garages.
  • not realizing quicker that there were no bodies, making me waste even more time slow walking the garages
  • should have attached Vulcan before entering garage. In fact, I could have scoped the garage from somewhere safe and maybe not been surprised.
  • only two scav kills. 

Successes

  • Made the right decision to flank and reapproach through front garage. Just needed more time.
  • Survived.

PostScript

I've been trying to run scav raids on Reserve these last few days, but haven't been able to. I've had two raids where I waited for twenty minutes of Matching... before cancelling, and one where I waited ten.  What is going on?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I