Skip to main content

Update: Raids 90 and 91 - Tarkov in Easy Mode

One of the easiest quests in the game is BP Depot where you simply have to put four markers on four out-of-the way tankers and extract. I was sure I would finish it in one attempt. Instead it took me three raids (83, 84 and 85) to get the markers planted, but I didn't survive any of those. Then another two attempts at just surviving Customs (Raids 88 and 89) were also failures.  So here I am, on my sixth attempt, the only thing I need to do is go to customs and extract. Here is a quick log of how my five previous attempts went.

  • Raid 83: killed from behind by another player in first minutes of raid
  • Raid 84: planted 3 markers and died of exhaustion 10 seconds before protection timer on fourth one
  • Raid 85: planted fourth marker. killed by cultist
  • Raid 88: killed by shotgun scav and new mouse.
  • Raid 89: killed by another player and my own poor PvP ability (and poor weapon choice)
Goal: Go to Customs and extract.  Avoid anything that breathes.

Progress: Quest Completed

Raid 90

No reason for a blow-by-blow.  I spawned into Customs in the dead of night, I crossed the map, I extracted. Didn't even loot much.  
Exp: 784
Time In Raid: 19 minutes, 34 seconds
No mistakes. No Successes (other than completing the damn quest).


Raid 91

Great, one of my next quests from Prapor is on Customs again. Wonderful. Looks straightforward - take the portable cabin key to the factory/construction area and pick up a package and extract.  At least I have that key. Also, I still need to find that damn white armor for Skier. If I don't do it quick, I'm going to have to spend a bunch of money expanding my hideout so I can craft it.  

Goals
  • pick up package from portable cabin
  • find white armor
  • find gas analyzer
  • extract alive
Loadout: Class 5 Ghzel armor.  SVDS with 2x scope and laser.  Three 20 round magazines of SNB. Meds, energy drink, one grenade.  SR1MP pistol in case I go into any tight spaces.  Armasight NVG setup. In container the CMS kit, 7BTI ammo and portable cabin key.

Since I still have that night vision setup, I decided to go at night again. I spawned in the industrial zone close to old gas.  Hmmm - the quickest way to those cabins is through the construction/stronghold area, but I really don't want to deal with any cultists (how often do they spawn? what's the actual likelihood of encountering one?), so I decided to go around.   Went round, killing some scavs on the way.  Weirdly, one of the scavs ate several headshots of SNB, and he messed me up a bit. Had to do surgery on arm and med after. Drank my energy drink. 

Crossed into construction area from the road. Killed more scavs. Portable cabin would not unlock. Why not? I have the key.  Wait, isn't there another one of these cabins nearer to the little skeleton building? Did they move it?

Went to little skeleton. Had quite a battle with the scavs there.  I have a silencer for the SVDS, but it makes the weapon slow and unwieldy, so I didn't bring it.  The SVDS is loud - I'm sure it can be heard everywhere on the map.  Fortunately, I think I'm the only one here.   That other portable cabin is here, but it's door is open and it requires parkour to get up there.   What the heck.

On the way to extract encountered a dead scav. Guess I'm not alone. Checked him for white armor. No luck.  Finished crossing and extracted.

Exp: 3226
Time In Raid: 22 minutes, 12 seconds
Killed: (all scavs) Varik Pentium, Vovchik Robin, Pahomiy Pioner, Shura Dzhentelmen, Petr Neudachnkik, Korneliy Suslik, Garik Romanov. Godspeed gentlemen.  Could I ask you to wear the white armor next time we meet?
Ammo Used: 35   Hits: 24   Accuracy: 0.49   Damage to Body: 1240   Headshots: 2

Mistakes

  • brought the _wrong_ portable cabin key. Of course there are two different ones in this game. I should have expected nothing less.
  • Should have had more headshots. The SVDS is great, and it can two tap the thorax easily. But I should be finishing things with one shot, not two. Need to practice.
  • Forgot to turn on laser in my short-range encounters. Point shooting without it is tricky. I did fine, but probably that was luck.

Successes

  • survived
  • killed 7 scavs

Postscript

Night raids are definitely easier for completing quests (that don't require PMC kills).  At first I found them rather frightening - the limited field of view from the NVG set combined with the deep deep shadows that can hide pretty much anything and convert the familiar landscape into a completely unfamiliar and threat-filled twilight dystopia is disorienting and scary. But now that I've done a few, I'm getting the feel. There are far fewer players, and the few players that are there are mostly just going about their business.  And there aren't any player scavs, since they don't have NVGs. So, yes, night raids are Tarkov in easy mode. 

Post Postscript - Weapon Tip 

Not that anyone is reading my blog for weapon or combat tips, but I have one.  For awhile I've been putting both a scope and a canted dot-sight on my weapons, to be prepared for close combat and be able to hit longer shots.  One problem with this is the ergo penalties and cost. The cost of a scope AND a dot-sight can often exceed the cost of the weapon. 

But now I've found a better solution: the Monstrum compact prism scope 2x32.  It can function as both a scope and a dot-sight.   As a scope, it's not great, but what's considered "long" range in EFT isn't actually very long. I find it perfectly adequate for 100 meters or even 150 meters for a stationary target.  As a dot-sight it's great, in fact it's better than a normal dot sight. That 2x magnification is super handy. For combat that's at 30 meters or longer, this scope is the bomb. A 4x or 3x would be impossible to use at 30 meters, but this little 2x really shines. And at 50 meters or so, it's the ideal sight.    The only downside is that it's not as quick as a dot sight. On my not-great-ergo SVDS there isn't much difference, so the Monstrum is the clear winner. On my little AK-104 a dot-sight is zip quick, but this 2x seems sluggish in comparison. So for the AK-104 I may stick with a dot-sight.
For shorter than 30 meters, I think a laser and point shooting is better anyway.

In summary, if you are using a slower low ergo weapon and need it to work for shorter range encounters as well as long, then consider using the Monstrum 2x compact scope as both a sight and a scope. For a fast high ergo weapon, you can try it out, but a traditional dot-sight might be a better fit.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I