Skip to main content

Update: Raid 93 - I am the worst

I'm still disappointed with the last few raids - they were successful in that I survived and achieved quest goals, but quiet. Loot and action are the main goals today.  

Destination: Customs

Goals:

  • kill scavs and find white armor
  • find gas analyzer.
  • find intel, and various other things
  • try to relax and have fun. 
  • look for trouble

Raid 93

Loadout: Class 5 Ghzel armor, SVDS with 2x Monstrum scope. Three mags of SNB. Armasight NVG gear, one grenade, energy drink and meds.  Customs office key, CMS kit and extra ammo in alpha container. 

Spawned in at the far corner, trailer park.  I seem to get this spawn a lot.  I had wanted a night raid. It was 4 am in Tarkov when I first joined the raid, but the waiting screens took forever.  Sure enough, the sky is already lightening for the dawn.  I looted a small shack at the edge of the customs yard and put away my NVG. Should I hide it in a bush? I decided to keep the NVG until after I looted the director's office.

Went up to the director's office, closed the door behind me after unlocking it.  Went into the first office and looked for intel (none) and started looting. There were shots fired nearby, somewhere down in the customs yard would be my guess. I stood up and carefully looked out the window, but couldn't see anything. Went to the computer and started to loot it.

There were footsteps on metal.  Is someone coming up the stairs? Footsteps at the door. Shit! Cancel!  I went to the doorframe of the little office and tried to set up on the locked door. The SVDS is a big gun, and it took a moment to get it aimed into the hallway.  Should I aim down sight?  I felt like I should, but would the player hear me? Also, two meters is probably too close for this 2x scope, that might be awkward. So I decided to point shoot, but didn't have time to think about adjusting my flashlight/laser. The door was being unlocked.

The door opened and I fired  - I bet someone just wet their pants - but my fire was wild and too low. I got off several shots, but the player stepped out of the door frame.  I heard him gasping and shuffling down the outside walkway.  I think he had NVGs on. I turned on my flashlight, ready to blind him if he peeked again. But, honestly, I was scared and frozen. I stayed in place waiting for him to make his next move, handing the initiative to him.  I was hoping to hear him med, and then maybe I could rush him. But I should have pushed regardless.

I was focused on the door, waiting for him to re-peek. But TreeTalkToEm simply walked to the little window and killed me through it. The window!! I had completely forgotten it.  Good kill TreeTalkToEm!  

Time In Raid: 6 minutes, 48 seconds
Exp: 76
Killed By: TreeTalkToEm with two rounds of 7.62x51mm BPZ FMJ (interesting ammo choice)
Ammo Used: 5   Hits: 1   Accuracy: 0.2    Damage To Body: 78

Mistakes

  • not setting up better - maybe should have aimed down sight. If not, certainly should have had flashlight/laser on as he opened the door.
  • very bad aiming - lack of laser/ADS contributed - but ultimately aim was low, not aiming at head.
  • surrendered initiative - which is the same as surrendering. I'm not sure if I can fire through that wall, but at minimum I should have tried - and I certainly should have moved.  Staying crouched in the doorframe was a death sentence no matter what.
  • unaware of surroundings - that window should not have been a surprise. I've looked out it in the past.  Too focused on one point.

Successes

  • made another player pee himself

Postscript

I suck at this game. Maybe something like Animal Crossing would be a better fit? 

Post PostScript

The time between hearing the footsteps on metal and the door being unlocked was very abbreviated. This confused me at the time, because it's two flights of stairs - I wasn't expecting the "key-in-the-door" sound so quickly.  I think it's the vertical audio issue. When I heard him on the stairs he was close.  Good to remember for the future. 

Post Post PostScript

I forgot to select the healing option at the end of the raid so I had to heal myself from my own store of meds.  I got more experience healing than I did from the raid.  Is this a new strategy for me? Can I make dying work for me? ... ummm, maybe I'd best download Animal Crossing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi