Skip to main content

Update: Raids 47 & 48 -- Excursions with a Reader

One of the readers of this blog was struck by my struggling and ineptitude and took pity on me. He offered to help, to go on some raids together.  My first thought was "I have a reader!"  and my second was "Awesome!".  Because of time-zone and other challenges it took a bit to arrange, but finally om3ga and I ventured into customs as a duo.

Destination: Customs

Goal: Help cornflake-cperk not suck, and have fun.

Progress: It was a lot of fun.

Raid 47

Loadout: SKS-OP with dot-sight and suppressor.  Three 20-round magazines, two of BP, one of PS. Ears, Kirasa (class 3 armor), MBSS backpack, meds, two grenades.  Red armband to prevent team kill.

One of the first things I learned before we even got in the raid is to get the 100 ruble eyecup for the cobra sight and to bring a bigger backpack. He was concerned that my backpack was too small. I prefer the smaller ones (T-bags and slings) because big packs make it hard to hide in bushes, and oftentimes I just take a bigger pack from bodies.  But it's not exactly like I'm dropping bodies everywhere.  I grabbed an MBSS. 

We spawned in the liquid containment corner of the map, in the building next to the tracks, with the body on the couch.  My usual instinct is to get out of buildings, but instead we looted and there was a lot more loot than I realized. I found a CMC medkit, which I secured in my container.

Next we used the tracks to go to next building over, and went to the van with computers in the back. There was a scav there who got the jump on us. om3ga gunned him down, but not before tasting a big spoonful of shotgun.  We entered the building, where he began to med. I set-up on the door we had used.  He heard a player shuffling outside one of the walls and prepared. The player entered and om3ga gunned him down too. He finished medding and we started to loot. We were both in one of the corners when we heard a scav inside the building with us. Did he spawn here?   I turned a corner and there he was - we traded fire and I killed him.  Glad I had that CMC medkit, because he blacked one of my arms. I medded and we moved on.

We moved towards old gas. om3ga said he heard a player in one of the buildings en route, but we passed him. Old gas was quiet. We went behind it to the giving tree and the bag back there. But they were already looted. He showed me a buried stash in the corner, and that had not been looted.  My backpack was brimming over with loot, more loot than I usually carry. Just before we were about to continue we started catching tracer fire. I hunkered down behind a pipe section, hoping to not get killed and om3ga flanked and killed the player, who had likely been following us, the guy that we bypassed earlier. 

One marked difference was clear - I tend to move slowly, methodically and timidly. But om3ga moves quickly and decisively, especially when under fire.  

We finished crossing the map, and with just minutes left on the raid timer, ran up to the Tarcone Director's office. I don't have the key to that, but om3ga does. I got my quest item, he looted the safe. And we made it out just seconds before raid ended.

I was having such a good time, I forgot to take screenshots or take notes. These figures are approximate:

Time in Raid: 39 minutes 
Exp: 1800
cornflake kills: 1 scav
om3ga kills: 2 players and 2 scavs. 


Raid 48

Loadout:  switch to suppressed VPO-209 with three twenty round magazines of .366 TKM FMJ. Otherwise the same as before. But this time instead of red armbands, we each wore green berets, to help avoid teamkilling (and to look cool).

After remembering to eat and drink, we spawned in the far far corner near trailer park.  Made our way across river, using one of the lower land bridges.  Quiet.  Went over to crack house.  From outside, we could hear players inside.  Threw in a grenade, but om3ga wasn't keen to press a CQB battle against multiple players with me tagging along.  Wise move.   

Worked our way over to stronghold. There were dead scavs there, but it hadn't been extensively looted. We went upstairs and looted a bit. om3ga noticed that the rear door to crack house was now open (it was closed when we were there).  He was looking for signs of that other squad when he saw a player scav duck into that building. 

We moved over to Old gas.  om3ga killed the scav that was there, and then we started poking around. He was on one side of the building, and I the other, near the car and the outside oblong gas tank.  I heard shuffling on grass.

"I hear moving. Are you moving?"

"Yes, I'm moving around over here."

Hmmmm - I glanced at him, but it didn't sound right. I peeked the corner around the gas tank. No one. I went over to the car and peeked there, nothing. The tank. Nothing.  Hmm. I looked back to where I had first peeked, and, hey, is that a BOOM!! .. player scav?  Answer: Yes, it was. And he just killed me. 

"It's a player scav! Near the end of the gas tank."  my disembodied ghost snitched over discord.

Pause.

"I got him. But that wasn't a scav, that was a PMC. He was looting your body."

"No, it was definitely a player scav. He had one of those gray/red Sochi Olympics jackets on."

"Ummm..." - his voice was disbelief. I was talking nonsense, but maybe that's to be expected when someone takes a bullet to the head. 

Eventually he sorted it out when he found the third body.  Apparently, the player scav killed me, some random PMC killed the scav, and then he fourth-partied the rando.  He had more loot than he could carry, and recovered the IFAK and jaunty beret he had lent me earlier. 

Time In Raid (for me): not long
Exp: 378


Postscript

It was a lot of fun playing with a real person. Thanks om3ga and I look forward to being able to do so again.

Successes

  • My very first time playing Tarkov in a team!  
  • I got a quest item. Now I just need to deliver it.
  • I got two CMC surgical kits from the raids today. Definitely need those.
  • wore berets

Mistakes

  • Died in second raid
  • Our comms need work. I was often asking "where did you go?" or having to actively look at him in order to follow and stick with him. But that's a waste of eyes. It would be better if I could put my attention elsewhere (like to our rear) as we move.  But every time I tried that, I baby-ducked it and got myself separated.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi