Skip to main content

Update: Raid 63 - Sardine Can Packed With Errors

This raid went so poorly that I'm reluctant to even post about it. 

Destination: Shoreline

Goals:

  • avoid players
  • kill some scavs
  • survive and extract

Raid 63 - From Here the Only Direction is Up, Right?

All my gear from two raids ago came back on insurance. Yay.  So my loadout is identical.

Loadout: Two weapons. Scoped and suppressed VPO-209 with one 30 round magazine of .366 TKM AP and one of .366 TKM FMJ.  MP5 with spare mags of noob ammo. Korund Class 5 armor, ears, meds, food and drink. Shattered mask. Forgot to grab a grenade.

Before spawning in I was vaguely hoping to spawn near Road to Customs again, so I could make another run like my previous raid, to see if I could tackle it better this time.  But, instead I spawned behind the resort, near the South Fence Passage, with extracts at Pier Boat or Tunnel.

I took concealment in a bush and checked to make sure my SMG was set to autofire and the VPO-209 scope was ranged to 100 meters.  Allright, I'm ready, now what?  I really don't have a plan for this location.  I've never been inside the resort and that seems ill-advised.  Maybe I'll cross on the little bridge behind that I discovered on a Scav raid, and then work over to the sunken village?

I crossed over to the outpost with the little bridge. I peeked it and fair quick was shot at by some unknown adversary. Was that a scav? How come he didn't shout?  I flanked a bit and peeked again, but this time two different weapons started firing on my position, and again, no shout or chirp and I couldn't spot anyone.  Could it be PMCs?  I decided it was and backed away, running a bit to put some distance.  

Now what? Where will I cross the river?  I guess the hydropower station. So I headed for that, going around the resort the long way.  And, despite having a compass, got turned around somehow. At first I was moving carefully, concealment to concealment, always aware of where hard cover was. But after this dragged on, I just started walking. And walking.  

When I finally figured out where I was, I was approaching the seashore near the CCP Temporary extract.  WTF? I'm way off course.    Allright, well, maybe I'll get a chance to try the pier again.

So I started walking the ridge, behind it a bit. All the walking before had made me careless. This was definitely an area where there might be players. In yesterday's raid I had switched to the SMG and cleared all the bushes. But this time I just strolled along, enjoying the weather and the view.

Until the view had a player left-leaning out from a tree, aiming down sights at me.  I ran. He fired and missed. I ran away, zig-zagging. He kept firing and missing. He finally landed a shot, but the Korund protected me. I need to break line of sight - there is a little ridge ahead, if I can just get over it.  I made it over and down, just as my stamina wore out.  I took position behind a tree, panting. 

For some reason I decided I needed to flank. So I did. But really I was just running a big circle around the mound that the sniper held.  He started firing at me and eventually, after many shots, KiNG174 brought me down with a headshot of M80. Congratulations KiNG174

Time In Raid: 23 minutes, 56 seconds
Exp: 56
0 shots fired.

Mistakes

  • panicking
  • after breaking the sight line, I should have set-up on him.  I was vaguely thinking to do this, but the top of the little ridge is well shadowed and my position below quite exposed (excepting the tree). And he would have the high ground. So, not optimal, but maybe I would have died almost fighting.
  • instead of running away from him, I should have ran perpendicular to him and then closed the distance and fired on him.  I can fire that VPO-209 quick quick when I need to.  
  • I should have been much more careful in the vicinity to begin with and should have switched to the SMG beforehand (though it's ammo might not be the best against players). 
  • In retrospect I realize those were scavs at the little bridge, not PMCs. I am a moron.  I don't know why they weren't shouting. I should have taken that fight. I will note, that AI scavs that fire before shouting tend to be more dangerous, they seem to be the ones with snap reflexes, perfect aim, and x-ray vision. But in all the raids I've been on, I've only encountered the Silent Bobs once or twice.
  • I got lost with a compass in my possession. Did I mention that I might be a moron? 
  • Lack of a clear plan. 

Successes

  • The second I saw that player aiming at me I reacted and ran. That saved my life. Everything after was utter garbage, but that reflex was right.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I