Skip to main content

Update: Raid 60 - Having Fun on Shoreline

New VSS 

I almost bought a VSS from Fence yesterday. I really liked that weapon back when I briefly had one during my Woods purgatory.  It was listed for 80K. Without thinking, I went to purchase, but it had already been sold.  This was lucky for me. I can't buy the ammo or the magazines required for that weapon. I clearly wasn't thinking straight.

So I decided to build my own.  Here is my recipe for a DYI VSS for people who don't have access to the flea market:

  • VPO-209 (buy from Fence for ~40K, or, more easily, get from Scavs)
  • Rotor 43 Suppressor (Skier for 28.7K )
  • Submachine gun of your choice (Kedr from Prapor for 15K, Kurz from Peacekeeper for 186 U$D, sometimes Fence has suppressed SMGs)
That's it!  Now, instead of clicking 'B' to change between auto-fire and single fire, you just switch weapons!  To round it out, you might want a scope:
  • Bastion AK dustcover (Skier 6.3K)
  • 25mm Rings (Jaeger 1.7K)
  • Pilad 4x Scope (Jaeger 15K)
If you buy each of those from the dealers, including the VPO from Fence and a Kedr from Prapor, the total cost is just north of 100K. However, Kedrs and VPO-209 are very common Scav weapons, so subtract those.  And, if you are anything like me, you probably have scopes lying around with nothing to run them.  So typical out-of-pocket cost is just the suppressor (28K) and the bastion (6.3K).  Cheap!

My rule of thumb is if you can hear the footsteps of your adversary, it's time to switch to the autofire weapon.  Full disclosure: I suck at this game so take that into account before following my advice.

Quick side note: the Rotor 43 Suppressor only became available from Skier relatively recently.  I'm very happy to see it.  I am not sure, but I think that the latest update has reduced the amount of suppression it provides. It seems louder than the last time I ran it. 

Last side note: The .366 TKM FMJ ammo is pretty sweet. It's a great choice against Scavs.  Probably less great against geared players.  But there is an  AP variant and that one seems quite good on paper. You'll need the flea to buy it, but sometimes Scavs run it.  I know, because I've had them send more than a few rounds my way.

Raid 60 - Shoreline

Interchange isn't proving to be what I'd hoped. It's great place to get loot or get killed by a lurker, with seemingly no in-between.  So I decided to learn a new map: Shoreline. I did two offline raids (with Scavs) to help get oriented and enjoyed both of those raids immensely.  But, in order to advance, I can't hide in offline mode. So, despite having explored less than half the map I decided to just jump in.

Goals:
  • survive and extract
  • maybe kill Scavs
  • try out my new noob VSS.
Progress:
  • achieved the minimum for all three goals
Loadout: Two weapons.  A Kedr with lots of mags of Pzh ght and my suppressed, scoped VPO-209 with .366 TKM FMJ.  Class 4 armor, ears, meds.  Also I am wearing the "Shattered" mask. It's provides very light face protection. I've been running it lately, and it has saved my bacon when fighting shotgun Scavs.  Two weapons and a scary Halloween mask? Who the hell am I?
Insurance: 41K  (whoa!!)

I spawned in near the tunnel extract.  This puts me on the side of the map I still haven't explored offline yet. But that's good, because I sort of know where the "Road to Customs" extract is and I'll be working towards terrain I have covered.  

I took concealment and started scoping out scav island (the one connected by the rusty ship). I figure no one is going to be extracting soon. I'll just wait for the Scavs to spawn.  And one did spawn - right above me on the road!   I could hear his footsteps, so I switched weapons, made sure the Kedr was set for auto-fire and left concealment to peek the road. I thought I had a fairly good idea of where he was, but I was wrong. I peeked up and didn't see him. But he saw me and blasted me with a shotgun.  He blacked one of my arms. I sought cover behind a rock and tried resuming the fight while he shot at me again.  I had trouble getting the shot lined up, but ultimately I did and I let loose with nearly a full magazine of 9mm. I definitely landed hits, but apparently not enough - he turned and ran.  

I really do not want to die in the first two minutes of a raid.  I was in bad shape, but I can't stay on this exposed beach with him above me. I left cover and went to pursue, when I heard him gasp and die.  I didn't hear a shot. Did he bleed out from the wounds I inflicted? Or was he sniped from afar?  I went back in the lee of my rock and began to med.  Treated the bleeding, used the CMS to unblack the arm, spent up my cheese and IFAK to restore myself to "pretty good".

I returned to concealment, scoped the island. Still no sign of Scavs.  Ok, I need to leave.  I crossed the road, hit the woods and began to make my way across the map.   I turned around and saw a player moving down the beach towards where I had been, but I lost sight of him too quick under the lip of the road to do anything about it.  

As far as I knew then, there were only three ways across the river. (I think there are actually four).  The beach road bridge, the hydro-power station, and the resort.  I aimed for the hydro-power station.  The route takes me a bit close to the village and Sanitar's vacation home, but it seemed safer than trying to get by the gas station.  

I don't know where any of the buried caches are, or really where any loot is. I found one grenade in a box outside the hydro-power station. The hydro-power station itself was quiet. No bodies. I entered it, but it had already been thoroughly looted.  

Made my way towards the Road to Customs extract, avoiding the radar and radio tower hills. I scoped the area near extract, looking for any campers. No sign of any, but there are plenty of places to hide.  I left concealment to step forward, and there was a Scav right below me, not two meters away.  He scared the crap out of me.  I hip shot my ersatz VSS and took him down before he could get off a shot.  

I reached extract. Loot: one grenade.  Feeling pretty good. I looked over, and there was a body just outside extract. I scooted over to it and looted it.  I think it was a player Scav - no dog tag, no backpack, IDEA rig.  But he was wearing Korund Class 5 body armor and carrying an M1A rifle with a Valday scope. Score!! I folded up the Kedr, grabbed the rifle, shed my armor and took the Korund.  I was so excited I forgot to scour his pockets and rig. A big oversight, because if he had picked up good ammo, that stuff is worth a fortune.

After extracting, I kept the scope and armor and sold the M1A.  I'm committed to my VPO-209 and am looking forward to putting the Valday on it. Lipstick on a pig.


Time In Raid: 32 minutes, 23 seconds. (palindrome)
Exp: 1923  ( first raid on this map, lots of exploring bonus)
Killed: Adrey Vazheyy  (apparently I did not kill that first Scav)
Healing: 3K rubles
Ammo Used: 36,  Hits: 4 (3 on the first Scav, 1 on the second?), Damage to body: 124, Damage to armor: 113. Accuracy: 0.11

Mistakes

  • misplacing the Scav in the first battle. 
  • didn't give proper consideration to hard cover - especially with Scavs and their magic aiming hard cover is essential.
  • overlooked magazines when looting

Successes

  • achieved all my goals: survived, killed a Scav, extracted.
  • the shattered mask took some damage. Who knows, it might have saved my life?

Postscript

I still need salewas and spark-plugs. I've been running Scav raids on interchange, but in two out of three of them I was killed by another Scav within the first minute.  Tarkov.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I