Skip to main content

Update: Level 2 and Maintaining

Ostensible Goal: kill scavs
If Being Completely Honest Goal:   don't die
Map: Customs

I have survived my last two raids (out of seven).  Going for the triple.


Raid 8

Loadout: same as before (MP5 submachine gun, class 3 armor, ears, meds, rig and sling.  Car medkit and water in pouch.
Insurance: none needed.

Spawned in trench between customs house and storage. One of my least favorite spawns.   Moved up to gap in wall around customs house front parking. There is often a scav standing guard, but nothing. There was, however, a player already ascending the stairs to the directors office. Is there a spawn _in_ the customs house? I must have arrived late.   

That player will be coming back down the stairs, and then he's most likely going to come to the front entrance and head away to cross the river using the gap in the far wall. I set up, using the gap near me as cover.  But then there were running footsteps behind me - my surprise was about to be third-partied. I jumped into a bush. The running player ran past me into the parking lot. The two of them started to exchange fire.  I began to take fire - their stray shots were hitting my location.  I began to slowly displace. They ran around, firing, and then it got quiet.   I went to peek the gap again, when I heard foot steps on the other side of the wall. Shit. A player must be roaming the lot looking for loot. The gap I'm sitting near, completely exposed, is the one he'll probably use to exit.  I started to back up towards the next group of bushes.   Swish.   Fuck - I hit a bush and made noise.  His steps stopped abruptly. He heard me.  

He may think I'm camping the gap, which except for being in the open, exposed, I sort of am. If he hears me move away, he'll rush me. Otherwise, he'll wait and withdraw, maybe flanking me by coming back on the road.  Rushing the gap would be suicide. I can wait or I can withdraw.  I decide to withdraw. Using my slowest crouch, I slowly backed up into the bushes, pushed through, turned and peeked the road. It's clear.  I will have to cross the road slowly - if he hears my footsteps on the asphalt he'll pin my location and rush.  I start leaving the bush cover slooowly ....  and then I realize that I have misplaced my adversaries location. He wasn't in the parking lot, he is outside its front gate. I am slow walking right into his ADS field of view. I am dead before I can complete the turn to face him.

Antemeridian killed me with _his_ MP5  submachine gun. We are twinsies!! I'm guessing I won't see that weapon and it's mags again.  Nice work Antemeridian. Good listening got you an easy kill. 

Time In Raid: 6 minutes 25 seconds on the clock, but, honestly, that felt more like 3 minutes, max.
Exp: 0    

Mistakes

  • died.  no triple for me.
  • overthinking, paralysis.  
  • after that gun-battle I should have been more aggressive to third-party the looter.
  • need to improve listening ability.
  • should I have run?

Success

  • didn't die in the first two minutes.

Raid #9

Loadout: AKS-74U and three magazines. Mix of BP, PS, PRS ammo. Razor ears (never used before). Ulley armor, Sling.  
Insurance: 16K

Spawned inside building in liquid containment sector.  No scavs around, and seemingly no players.  Decided to go south towards tracks and old gas.  Old gas is deserted, but mostly looted already. Crossed construction using cover.  No scavs. No players. Gunfire in one of the buildings (probably fighting over intel).  Continued all the way over to right behind RUAF exfil, where the dead body is in the weeds. It's already been looted.  Walked around south edge of building when I heard scav voices - and more than one.  Hmmm. Scav boss?  I have heard reports that he can be found here lately, overlooking the river.  I look down to my hand where I've written todays goal in sharpie (SURVIVE).  Fine.  I back off and head back, crossing the parking lot with the gas truck and exiting the wall over there, outside the checkpoint.  No scavs lurking at the guard or lookout points. Also, I haven't seen scav snipers on any of the usual buildings this whole trip. Go north to cross the main road onto dorms side. Follow along to north gate. Still no scavs. Cross road again to river.  Where is everyone?  Decide to do some simple recon - walk underneath main bridge and peek the checkpoint there.  Still no scavs. No sign of anyone.   Cross river and exfil at crossroads.  Uneventful, and very little loot. But I survived, and that's a victory. Also, the weather was nice and it's good to get some exercise. 

Time In Raid: 22 minutes, 21 seconds.
Exp: 478  

Mistakes

  • too timid. Perhaps should have engaged scavs I overheard. 

Successes

  • survived!!



Side Note: I've been doing nighttime Scav raids, because masochism.  OMG not good. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Fire of Emplaced Weapons at Lighthouse USEC Base, for BEARS

On the new Lighthouse map, the USEC rogues are very aggressive against BEARS and will sight on you out to 300 meters or more, and will fire on you far quicker than they will on a USEC PMC.  The fixed guns are particularly dangerous as they can kill you with a single hit when you might not even realize you are close to the base. I made a map with some fields of fire noted on it. There are two mounted machine guns on building 1 , two mounted machine guns and a grenade launcher on building 2 , and a single machine gun on building 3 .  Plus there is a mounted machine gun and grenade launcher on the southwest corner of the base (lower right on this map).  I have noted the general field of fire of each of these weapons on the map. Obviously, there is a lot of cover, so just because you are standing in a red zone on this map doesn't necessarily mean you can be seen and hit. BUT, if there is any sort of line of sight (including through trees, bushes, walls and vehicles) and you are BEAR, t

Counting Cheaters - Part 4

Methodology Because of this blog, I have a record of the name of everyone who kills me, as well as a mostly complete record of the name of everyone I manage to kill.  Every two months this wipe (12.12) I look up all those names in the in-game chat tool.  The presumption being that if a name is no longer in the chat tool then either that person changed their name, or they were banned for cheating.   It is not a perfect methodology nor do I have a lot of data, but it's far better than just going by feel, which is what most people do. The arguments about cheating on Reddit are mostly silly as people just try to generalize anecdotal experiences.  My Anecdotal Experience Since I broached the topic, here is my own anecdotal experience. Before I started doing this I didn't feel like I had encountered many cheaters in Wipe 12.12.  Just a couple.   But since I've started tracking, my view has become more jaundiced and now I have more suspicions. BUT, overall this wipe, I feel like I

On "The Video"

 No doubt, anyone following Tarkov has seen the video from Goat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek If you've read my blog before, you know I've tried tracking cheaters in the past by checking all my kills and killers in the in-game chat tool over time. I made several posts, the last of which was this one:  https://itarkovpoorly.blogspot.com/2022/06/counting-cheater-part-4.html My take on the video?  The reason it's called "The wiggle that killed tarkov" is because if cheaters are signaling each other via wiggling, it means there is a CULTURE of cheating and cheaters. And that's the shocking thing. It's not just "some people cheat", it's that there is a whole CULTURE of people cheating, with their own set of spoken/unspoken rules, behaviors, norms and manners. And if you've got a whole culture around something, then it's likely widespread and endemic. And disappointing.  Someone made the remark on Reddit that watching the vi